Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Texas » Irion County

Irion County

Irion County is named for Robert Anderson Irion, who was a secretary of state in the Republic of Texas.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Sterling County and Tom Green County 

E – Tom Green County 

S – Schleicher County and Crockett County

W – Reagan County

 

Created:  March 7, 1889                         Map of Texas highlighting Irion County

County Seat: 

Sherwood  1889 – 1936

Mertzon     1936 – present

 

County Courthouse – Mertzon 

 

Location:  209 North Park View Street / West Sherwood Avenue

Built:  1936 – 1937

Style:  Moderne

Architect:  David S Castle of Abilene

Contractor:  Baleanz Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building sits on a hill with spacious grounds in the center of Mertzon. The building has a raised basement. The east front has a central entrance on the first story. The building has ornamentation. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the large courtroom is located on the east side of the second story. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice Court. 

 

See:  The architect, David S Castle of Abilene, designed courthouses in Borden CountyHansford County, Mitchell CountyReagan CountyStephens CountySterling CountyUpton County and Winkler County.

 

Old County Courthouse – Sherwood

 

 

Location:  SE – Washington Avenue / Madison Street

Built:  1900 – 1901

Style:  Second Empire

Architect:  Martin & Moodie

Contractor:  Martin & Moodie

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Sherwood. The west front and east side have projecting center sections with arched entrance on the first story, large window on the second story and gable roof at the top. The north and south sides have on story arched entrances. On the center of the roof is a high square cupola with clock face at the top. The roof is hipped. In the interior, the courtroom was on the east side of the second story and the stairs were on the west side. The building served as the courthouse until 1937, when the county seat was moved two miles south to Mertzon. The building now serves as a community center. 

 

Note:  The painted clock face shows the exact time that President Abraham Lincoln dies as the area had a small pocket of Republicans. The stone for the building was quarried in the area.

 

History: The county was created in 1889 and Sherwood was selected as the county seat. The county used rented premises until the first courthouse was built in 1900 to 1901at a cost of $20,500. The building still standing. In 1936, the county seat was moved to Mertzon. The second courthouse was constructed in 1936 to 1937 at a cost of $94,622.

 

 

County Courthouse – Mertzon 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Sherwood

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2014 and 2019