Johnson County is named for Benjamin Johnson, who was the first judge of the federal district for Arkansas.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Madison County and Newton County
E – Pope County
S – Logan County
W – Franklin County
![]()
Created: November 16, 1833
County Seat:
Spadra Boat Landing 1833 – 1936
Clarksville 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Clarksville
Location: 215 West Main Street / South Fulton Street
Built: 1934 – 1935
Style: Italian Classical Revival
Architect: Haralson and Nelson
Contractor: Linebarger & Feaser
Description: The building faces north and is a three story gray colored stone, white colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Clarksville. The building is constructed with white colored brick, and rusticated concrete frames the doors and windows. Ornamental details are restrained on the exterior, including only arched windows, Classical columns, and porches at the side entrances. The north front has three arched entrances on the first story. Six columns rise from the second story to the top of the third story with recessed vertical windows between. There are east and west wings. A cornice runs below the flat roof line. In the interior there are polished granite floors in the hallways and stairways and the paneled oak doors. In the County Circuit Court courtroom located along the north side of the second story, are pilasters which hang on the walls and the ceilings have moldings of stained wood. The courtroom also contains the original Art Deco lighting fixtures and brass frosted chandeliers. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 5th Judicial Circuit. The architect was Haralson and Nelson and the contractor was Linbarger & Feaser. Central heat and air were installed in 1978. The basement was renovated in 1982,
See: The 5th Judicial Circuit includes Franklin County and Pope County.
History: The county was created in 1833 and Spadra Bluff was selected as the county seat. The first court met at the home of Elijah Alson at the Spadra Bluff. In 1836 the county seat was moved to Clarksville. The first courthouse was built in 1837 and burned in 1872. The second courthouse was designed by John D Edwards and constructed by A J Millard and R S King in 1874. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1934 to 1935.
County Courthouse – Clarksville
County Circuit Court courtroom
Picture First County Courthouse
Picture Second County Courthouse
Photos taken 2011 and 2025
Images 17*
