Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Arkansas » Franklin County

Franklin County

 

Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin , who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Madison County

E – Johnson County and Logan County

S – Logan County

W – Sebastian County and Crawford County

 

Created:  December 19, 1873                Map of Arkansas highlighting Franklin County

County Seat:        

Ozark          1873 – present  ( Northern District )

Charleston  1873 – present  ( Southern District )

* Franklin County has two county seats

 

County Courthouse – Ozark

 

Location:  211 West Commercial Street / South 3rd Street

Built:  1904 – 1905

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  Frank W Gibb of Little Rock

Contractor:  E L Koonge

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Ozark. On the northwest corner is a high square brick tower with clock at the top. The north front projects from the main building and has a stone framed entrance on the first story and a wide header above the second story. On the northeast corner is a lower square brick tower. The roof line is flat. The building was remodeled in 1945. The architect was T Ewing Shelton and the contractor was Tom Eads.

 

History:  The county was created in 1873 and Ozark was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a small log schoolhouse in 1838. The second courthouse was a one story frame structure built by D L Bourland at a cost of $400 and supervised by James W Pendleton in 1839 to 1840. The third courthouse was a two story brick structure designed by Kendall Webb and built in 1848 to 1851 at a cost of $2,450. The building was burned during the Civil War. The fourth courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1869 at a cost of $13,000. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1904 to 1905 at a cost of $60,300. After a fire on January 10, 1944, the courthouse was rebuilt in 1944 to 1945. The courts occupied the Arcade Building during the reconstruction.

 

County Courthouse – Charleston

 

 

Location:  607 East Main Street / South Hancock Street

Built:  1923 – 1924

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Frank W Gibb of Little Rock

Contractor:  E W Jenkins

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Charleston. The north front has a central recessed entrance on the first story. The second story windows are arched. Vertical pilasters run along the sides of the building. The roof line is flat. 

 

See:  The architect, Frank W Gibb of Little Rock also designed courthouses in Bradley CountyCalhoun CountyConway CountyDallas County, Phillips County and Yell County.

 

History:  Because Franklin County was divided in half by the Arkansas River, the state legislature established an additional county seat at Charleston in 1885. Franklin County is one of ten counties in Arkansas to have dual seats. The first courthouse in Charleston was a native stone, two-story building on the southeast intersection of Main and Logan streets. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1923 to 1924.

 

See:  The 5th Judicial District includes Johnson County and Pope County.

 

County Courthouse – Ozark

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse – Charleston

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2010