Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Arkansas » Conway County

Conway County

 

Conway County is named for Henry Wharton Conway, who was the territorial delegate to the United States House of Representatives.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Van Buren County

E – Van Buren County and Faulkner County 

S – Perry County

W – Yell County and Pope County

 

Map of Arkansas highlighting Conway County

Created:  October 20, 1825                    

County Seat:

Cadron        1825 – 1829

Harrisburg   1829 – 1831

Lewisburg    1831 – 1850

Springfield   1850 – 1873

Lewisburg    1873 – 1883

Morrilton      1883 – present

 

County Courthouse – Morrilton

 

Location:  1175 Moose Street / Church Street

Built:  1929 – 1930

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Frank W Gibb of Little Rock

Contractor:  John P Jones of Hot Springs

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a four story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Morrilton. The building has a raised basement as the first story. There are six columns rising from the second story to a header at the top of the third story, terra cotta trim and Batesville stone. The first story entrance is recessed. The roof line is flat. In the interior is a marble staircase on the second story. The County Circuit Court courtroom is located along the south side of the third story and the small courtroom is located along at the center of the fourth story which was formerly the jail. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 15th Judicial Circuit.

 

See:  The architect, Frank W Gibb of Little Rock also designed courthouses in Bradley CountyCalhoun CountyDallas County, Franklin CountyPhillips County and Yell County.

 

See:  The 15th Judicial District includes Conway CountyLogan County, Scott County and Yell County.

 

History: The county was created in 1825 and Cadron was selected as the county seat. In 1829 the county seat was moved to Harrisburg and then to Lewisburg in 1831, to Springfield in 1850 and back to Lewisburg in 1873. In 1883 the county seat was finally moved to Morrilton. The first courthouse was built in 1883 and burned in 1927. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1929 to 1930 at a cost of $97,000.

 

 

County Courthouse – Morrilton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court small courtroom

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2011 and 2025

Images 14*