Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Arkansas » Van Buren County

Van Buren County

Van Buren County is named for Martin Van Buren, who was President of the United States of America.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Searcy County and Stone County

E – Cleburne County

S – Faulkner County and Conway County 

W – Pope County

 

Created:  November 11, 1833                Map of Arkansas highlighting Van Buren County

County Seat:        

Bloomington  1833 – 1844

Clinton           1844 – present

 

County Courthouse – Clinton

 

Location:  197 Court Street / Main Street

Built:  1934

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Frank Erhart & Howard Eichenbaum

Contractor:  Earl Bird and Carl Bird

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story course stone and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Clinton. The east front has a central entrance framed with stone on the first story. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the County Circuit Court courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 20th Judicial District. The building was a Works Progress Administration project. The building was remodeled in 1973. The architect was Herman Lee and the contractor was Fureigh Construction and Story Construction Company. The building was remodeled in 1983 after a flood.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Van Buren County Courthouse

 

See:  The 20th Judicial District includes Faulkner County and Searcy County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1833 and Bloomington was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse in 1833 was the log cabin of Obadiah Marsh. The second courthouse was also a log cabin adjacent to the horse racing track. In 1842, the county seat was moved to Clinton and the third courthouse was a log building which burned in 1865. The fourth courthouse was a two story frame structure built in 1869. The courthouse was razed in 1934 when the fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1934.

 

 

County Courthouse – Clinton

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2011