Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Arkansas » Searcy County

Searcy County

Searcy County is named for Richard Searcy, who was a judge in Lawrence County.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Boone County and Marion County

E – Baxter County and Stone County

S – Van Buren County and Pope County

W – Newton County

 

Created:  December 13, 1838                Map of Arkansas highlighting Searcy County

County Seat:        

Lebanon                        1838 – 1856

Burrowsville ( Marhall )  1856 – 1867

Marshall                         1867 – present

 

County Courthouse – Marshall

 

Location:  NW – Center Street / West Main Street

Built:  1888 – 1889

Style:   Classical Revival

Architect:  J S Stephenson

Contractor:  McCabe & Greenhaw

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story brown colored native stone structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Marshall. The building has a raised basement. The east front has a one story portico. There is an entrance on the west side.  The pressed metal roof is hipped with a center gable on each side. In the interior, there is a central hall running west from the east entrance. There are four foot high wooden wainscoting with the upper portions of the wall being plaster. Woodwork is oak and pine. The County Circuit Court courtroom on the second story has a twelve foot ceiling. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 20th Judicial District. An addition has been constructed on the north side. To the south is the Old County Jail.

 

Note:  The courthouse is one of the oldest courthouses in Arkansas.  The stone masons were Jim Eatherly, Tom Treadwell, T J Thomas and others.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Searcy County Courthouse

 

See:  The 20th Judicial District includes Faulkner County and Van Buren County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1838 and Lebanon was selected as the county seat. The county officers met in a private residence until the first courthouse, a log structure was built in 1842. In 1856 the county seat was moved to Burrowsville and the county officers met in a store. In 1858, the second county courthouse was built. In 1867, the name of the county seat was changed to Marshall. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1886. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1888 at a cost of $29,000.

 

 

County Courthouse – Searcy

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

Old County Jail – Marshall

 

 

Photos taken 2011