Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Arkansas » Marion County

Marion County

Marion County is named for Francis Marion, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1732 to 1795.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Taney County, Missouri and Ozark County, Missouri

E – Baxter County

S – Searcy County

W – Boone County

 

Created:  September 29, 1836               Map of Arkansas highlighting Marion County

County Seat:        

Yellville     1836 – 1870

Sherman  1870 – 1871

Yellville     1871 – present

 

County Courthouse – Yellville

 

Location:  300 East Old Main Street / North Berry Street

Built:  1943 – 1944

Style:  Romanesque Revival and Queen Anne

Architect:  Tom Eads of Fayetteville

Contractor:  Tom Eads of Fayetteville

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story buff colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Yellville. The south front has a projecting center section with a porch having an arched entrance on the first story and recessed doorway. On the second story above the porch, is an arched window. Octagonal steep roofs are at each corner of the front with a square concrete section on the roof top. The building forms a cross with an east and west wing. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 14th Judicial District. 

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Marion County Courthouse

 

See:  The 14th Judicial District includes Baxter CountyBoone County and Newton County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1836 and Shawneetown was designated as the county seat and the name was changed to Yellville. The first court met at the log cabin residence of Thomas Adams. The first courthouse was built in 1837 and was burned in 1863 during the Civil War. The county seat was moved to Sherman in 1970 and returned to Yellville in 1871. The second courthouse was built around 1871 but was also destroyed by fire in 1887. The third courthouse was constructed by Jim Wickersham in 1890 and was destroyed by fire in 1899. The fourth courthouse was designed by George E McDonald and constructed in 1905 and was destroyed by fire on January 12, 1943. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1943 to 1944 at a cost of $35,000.

 

County Courthouse Annex – Yellville

 

Location:  105 South Berry Street / East Old Main Street

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a one story light red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Yellville to the southeast of the courthouse. The main section is square shaped along the east side with a west wing. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County District Court. The building is named as the Courts Building. 

 

 

 

County Courthouse – Yellville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2011