Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Arkansas » Faulkner County

Faulkner County

 

Faulkner County is named for Sanford Faulkner, who was a Confederate soldier and the composer of the song “The Arkansas Traveler”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Van Buren County and Cleburne County

E – White County and Lonoke County 

S – Pulaski County

W – Perry County and Conway County 

 

Created:  April 12, 1873                         Map of Arkansas highlighting Faulkner County

County Seat:        

Conway  1873 – present

 

County Courthouse – Conway

 

Location:  801 Locust Street / Robertson Avenue

Built:  1936 – 1937

Style:  Colonial Revival and Art Deco

Architect:  Wittenberg & Delony of Little Rock

Contractor:  George W. Donaghey of Conway

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a four story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Conway. The building is ”H” shaped and on  the east front, the center section is recessed.  The second story has large arched windows. The fourth story is recessed. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the County Circuit Court courtroom is located on the second story and the high ceiling extends into the third story. The building is a Works Project Administration project. In the 1970’s, a jail addition was added on the south side. An addition was added in 1993 on the west side. The contractor was Nabholz Construction Company. The one story Courthouse Annex was designed by Bury Taggart & Associates, Inc and constructed by Nabholz Building and Management.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Faulkner County Courthouse

 

See:  The 20th Judicial District includes Searcy County and Van Buren County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1873 and Conway was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a Gothic structure built in Conway in 1873. The second courthouse was a Romanesque structure designed by Rickon & Thompson and constructed by C W Donaghey & Harrell in 1893. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1936.

 

 

Old County Jail – Conway

 

 

Location:  801 Locust Street / Robertson Avenue

Built:  1895 – 1896

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  A M Miller

Contractor:  Rice Builders

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structureThe building is located on landscaped grounds near the courthouse. The building now houses a museum.

 

 

County Courthouse – Conway

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse Annex – Conway

 

 

 

 

Old County Jail – Conway

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2011