Skip to content
Home » Canada Courthouses » Nova Scotia » Inverness County

Inverness County

Inverness County is named for the city of Inverness in Scotland.

 

County Created  :  1835

County Seat:  

Port Hood              1835 – 2005

Port Hawkesbury   2005 – present

 

Courthouse – Port Hawkesbury

 

Location:  15 Kennedy Street / Bernard Street

Built:  2003 – 2005

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Robert J Ojelick

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a is a two story structure. The building is located on a rise on  landscaped grounds in the city centre. The east front has a projected centre section with central entrance with blue coloured glass with extended blue coloured canopy. The blue coloured windows are vertical. The roof line is flat. 

 

Old Courthouse – Port Hood

 

 

Location:  375 Main Street / Convent Street

Built:  1936 – 1937

Style:  Classical Revival / Palladian

Architect:  H A Condon of Kentville

Contractor:  H A Condon of Kentville

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two story red coloured brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds to the north of the town centre. The rectangular shaped building has the main entrance along the northeast side. The roof line is flat. The former courtroom is located on the second story.  An extension was added on the north side in 1967. The building houses the Municipality of Inverness offices. The court offices were moved to Port Hawkesbury in 2005 when the new courthouse was constructed.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1825 by John MacDonald and was a small stone structure. The second courthouse was built in 1872 and was destroyed by fire on December 5, 1935. The Duncan Ferguson MacLean house weas used as a temporary courthouse.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Northumberland Strait

E – Victoria County, Cape Brteon County and Richmond County

S – Guysborough County and Antigonish County

W – Northumberland Strait

 

 

 

Courthouse – Port Hawkesbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old Courthouse – Port Hood

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2018