Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Idaho » Adams County

Adams County

Adams County is named for John Adams, who was the second President of the United States of America, or for John Quincy Adams, who was the sixth President of the United States of America.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Idaho County

E – Valley County

S – Gem County and Washington County

W – Washington CountyBaker County, Oregon and Wallowa County, Oregon

 

Created:   March 3, 1911                                                            Map of Idaho highlighting Adams County

County Seat: 

Council  1912 – present

 

County Courthouse – Council

 

Location:  301 Industrial Avenue / North Dartmouth Street

Built:  1989 – 1999

Style:  Modern

Architect: Archetype Design

Contractor:  Delpro Corporation

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick and concrete  structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the north side of the center of Council. The northwest entrance has two large pillars and a recessed glass doorway. The exterior is a yellow colored concrete and the building has a hipped red colored roof. In the interior, the County District Court courtroom is along the north side. The building houses the County District Court and County Magistrate Court of the 3rd Judicial District.  Contracts for plumbing were awarded to C & R Plumbing and Heating of Dalton Garden, for sheet metal to Outland Steel of Nampa and for mechanical to Lewis Mechanical of Pocatello.

 

 Former County Courthouse ( demolished ) – Council 

 

 

Location:  SE – California Avenue / Michigan Street

Built:  1914 – 1915

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:  Charles Kaufman

Contractor:  George F Brinson

 

Description:  The building faced west and was a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building was located in the center of Council. The building had a raised basement. There was a west wing and a south wing forming “V” shape. The main entrance was at the junction of the wings with a dormer above at the roof line. The entrance had white colored Tuscan columns. In the interior were plaster walls with exposed beams.  During construction of the building, G S Geddes was appointed supervisor. The building was maintained by the Adams County Historic Preservation Commission but was demolished in November 2017.

 

See:  The 3rd Judicial District includes Canyon CountyGem CountyOwyhee CountyPayette County and Washington County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1911 and Council was selected as the county seat in 1912. The first courthouse was a one story house. The second courthouse was constructed in 1914 to 1915 at a cost of $25,000. The courthouse was demolished in 2017. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1999 to 2000.

 

 

County Courthouse – Council

                   

 

 

 

 

 

County District Court courtroom

 

 

Commission Minutes – construction

 

 

 

 

Former County Courthouse ( demolished ) – Council

 

 

 

 

 

 

Picture First Courthouse – Council

Photos taken 2009 and 2012