Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Idaho » Elmore County

Elmore County

Elmore County is named for the Ida Elmore mines, which were noted for gold and silver production in the 1860’s.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Boise County

E – Blaine County, Camas CountyGooding County and Twin Falls County

S – Owyhee County

W – Owyhee County and Ada County

 

Created:  February 7, 1889                                                        Map of Idaho highlighting Elmore County

County Seat: 

Rocky Bar           1889 – 1891

Mountain Home  1891 – present

 

County Courthouse –  Mountain Home 

 

Location:  150 South 4th Street / East 2nd South

Built:  1915 – 1916

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Wayland & Fennell

Contractor:  C E Johnson

 

Description:  The building  faces southwest and is a two story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Mountain Home. The foundation is rusticated sandstone. The south front has a slightly projecting center section with stone pilasters and framed entrance on the first story. The roof line is flat. In the interior is a small fyer and high central hall. At either end of the rear. The courtroom is located on the second story.hall are wide staircases ascending to the second story. The building houses the County District Court and County Magistrate Court of the 4th Judicial District. 

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Elmore County Courthouse

 

See:  The 4th Judicial District includes Ada CountyBoise County and Valley County.

 

History: The county was created in 8889 and Rocky Bar was selected as the county seat. In 1891 the county seat was moved to Mountain Home. The county rented space and the first courthouse was a school. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1915 to 1916.

                       

 

County Courthouse – 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2011