Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Illinois » Grundy County

Grundy County

Grundy County is named for Felix Grundy, who was a United States Attorney General.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Kendall County

E – Will County and Kankakee County 

S – Livingston County

W – La Salle County 

 

Created:  February 17, 1841                                                      Map of Illinois highlighting Grundy County

County Seat:

Morris  1842 – present

 

County Courthouse – Morris

 

Location:  111 East Washington Street / Liberty Street

Built:  1912 – 1913

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Joseph W Royer of Urbana

Contractor:  Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky

 

Description: The building faces north and is a two story limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Morris. The building has three stone framed entrances with three high arched windows above on the second floor. The central front section projects from the main building. The east and west wings are lower in height. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 13th Judicial Circuit.  Along the south side is a one story Courthouse Annex.

 

See:  The architect Joseph W Royer of Urbana, Illinois designed courthouses in Illinois in Bureau CountyChampaign CountyClay County, Douglas County, Ford CountyMarion County, Piatt County and Richland Countyin iowa in Linn Countyand in Wisconsin in Douglas County.

 

See:  The contractor Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky

 

See:  The 13th Judicial Circuit includes Bureau County and La Salle County. 

 

History:  The county was created in 1841 and Morris was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was frame structure built by William E Armstrong in 1841 to 1842 at his own expense. The second courthouse was a two story structure built by R J Cunningham & Company in 1858. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1912 to 1913.

 

 

County Courthouse – Morris

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2008