Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Illinois » Schuyler County

Schuyler County

Schuyler County is named for Philip Schuyler, who was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War and later a United States Senator from New York.


Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – McDonough County and Fulton County

E – Mason County and Cass County

S – Brown County

W – Adams County and Hancock County


Created:  January 13, 1825                                                        Map of Illinois highlighting Schuyler County

County Seat:

Rushville  1825 – present


County Courthouse – Rushville


Location: 102 South Congress Street / West Lafayette Street

Built:  1881 – 1883

Style:  Italianate

Architect:  Edward O Fallis of Toledo, Ohio

Contractor:  Keegan & Maurer


Description: The building faces east and is a two story reddish colored brick structure.  The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Rushville. The east front has a recessed portico with three square entrances on the first story and three arched openings on the second story. The openings are divided by double thin columns and the pediment forms part of the roof line. Double narrow windows are on either side on the first story and a large arched window on either side on the second story. On the northeast corner rises a high four story square white brick tower with clock.


Note:  The committee chosen to see to the planning and construction of the courthouse consisted of John C Bagby, Edwin M Anderson, and James DeWitt. The three men visited  Monroe County, Michigan and were impressed by the courthouse there. They then advised the board to enter into a contract with Thomas Keegan, who designed the courthouse in Monroe and use the plans of architect Edward O Fallis of Toledo, Ohio.


See:  The 8th Judicial District includes Adams County, Brown CountyCalhoun County, Cass County, Mason County and Pike County.


History:  The county was created in 1825 and Rushville was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1826.Soon after, a Clerk’s Office was built of logs on the east side of the Courthouse Square. The second courthouse was a brick and sandstone structure built in the center of the square in 1931. The courthouse burned down in 1880. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1881 to 1883 at a cost of $36,000.



County Courthouse – Rushville





Photos taken 2007