Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Illinois » Adams County

Adams County

 

Adams County is named for John Quincy Adams, who was United States Secretary of State and a United States Representative.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Hancock County

E – Schuyler CountyBrown County and Pike County

S – Pike County

W – Marion County, Missouri and Lewis County, Missouri

 

Created:  January 13, 1825                                                        Map of Illinois highlighting Adams County

County Seat:

Quincy  1825 – present

 

County Courthouse – Quincy

 

Location:  521 Vermont Street / North 6th Street

Built:  1949 – 1950

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Holabird, Root and Burgee and Hafner and Hafner

Contractor:  L & R Construction Company

 

Description: The building faces south and is a three story reddish-orange colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Quincy. The long rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Quincy. The building has entrances at the east and west sides of the south front. The first story has white colored stone facing. The windows are small. There are several roof line levels and the roof line is flat. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 8th Judicial Circuit. The building was renovated from 1994 to 1997. The architect was Peopping, Stone, Bach & Associates and the contractor for each phase was Johnco Construction, Watekatte Construction, R L Brink Company and A Fischer Builders.

 

See:  The 8th Judicial District includes Brown CountyCalhoun County, Cass County, Mason County, Menard County, Pike County and Schuyler County.

  

History:  The county was created in 1825 and Quincy was selected as the county seat. The first court met at the home of Willard Keyes in Quincy. The first courthouse was a two story log structure erected in 1826. The courthouse burned in 1836. The second courthouse was a two story structure built in 1837. The courthouse also burned in 1875. The third courthouse was designed by J S McKean and constructed by W B Lackworthy in 1877. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1949 to 1950.

 

 

County Courthouse – Quincy

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2007 and 2012