Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Kansas » Comanche County

Comanche County

Comanche County is named for the Comanche American Indian tribe who resided in the region and derives from the Spanish “Camino Ancho” meaning “broad trail”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Kiowa County

E – Barber County

S – Woods County, Oklahoma and  Harper County, Oklahoma

W – Clark County

 

Created:  February 27, 1885                  Map of Kansas highlighting Comanche County

County Seat:

Coldwater  1885 – present

 

County Courthouse – Coldwater 

 

Location:  201 South New York Avenue / 1st Street

Built:  1927 – 1928

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Routledge & Hertz

Contractor:  Thomas S Howard

 

Description: The building faces west and is a four story buff colored brick, limestone  and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Coldwater. The building has eleven bays on the east and west facades and five bays on the north and south facades. The building has a projecting central section with two large columns rising from the second story to the third story. Between the columns are three entrance doors and above are sets of three windows on each story. The roof line is flat. In the interior are terrazzo floors, pink marble wainscoting, oak trim and plaster walls and ceilings. There is an iron staircase with terrazzo treads. The County District Court courtroom is located on the east side of the second story. On the third story are eight jail cells now used for storage. The building houses the County District Court of the 16th Judicial District. 

 

Note:  The architect,  Routledge & Hertz, designed courthouses in Edwards County, Finney County, Gray County. Hodgeman County and Sherman County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Comanche County Courthouse

 

See:  The 16th Judicial District includes Clark County, Ford CountyGray County, Kiowa County and  Meade County.

 

History:  The county was created February 26, 1867 but the establishment of the county was declared a fraud and the county was re-created on February 27, 1885 and Coldwater was selected as the county seat. A courthouse site was purchased in 1888 and the first courthouse was a wood structure erected in Coldwater in 1889 to 1890. The courthouse burned in 1921. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1927 to 1928.

 

 

 County Courthouse – Coldwater

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County District Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jail Cells on third story

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2006, 2010 and 2022