Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Louisiana » Iberville Parish

Iberville Parish

Iberville Parish is named for Pierre Le Moyne d’Iberville, who was an explorer and the brother of Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville.

 

Surrounding Parish Courthouses: 

N – Pointe Coupee ParishWest Baton Rouge Parish and East Baton Rouge Parish 

E – Ascension Parish

S – Assumption Parish, Iberia Parish and Saint Martin Parish

W – Saint Martin Parish

 

Created:   April 10, 1805                         Map of Louisiana highlighting Iberville Parish

Parish Seat: 

Plaquemine  1805 – present

 

Old Parish Courthouse –  Plaquemine  

 

Location:  23640 Railroad Avenue / Meriam Street

Built:  1906 – 1907

Style:  Renaissance Revival

Architect:  Andrew  J Bryan

Contractor:  John Arthur

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The buiding is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Plaquemine on the east side of the courthouse. The south front has a high portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the third story. There is a recessed balcony on the second story. A wide cornice runs between the second and third stories. The building has east and west wings. The roof is hipped. In the interior, the large former Parish District Court courtroom, which no serves as the Ciyu Court courtroom is located on the north side of the second story. The building is now the City Hall. The building was damaged by fire in 1945 and restored in 1946. The building was renovated in 1949.

 

Parish Courthouse –  Plaquemine  

 

 

Location:  58050 Meriam Street / Railroad Avenue

Built:  1981 – 1982

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Bradley-Miremont & Associates

Contractor:  E C Shafer Construction Company Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Plaquemine. A center wing extends south with the entrance at the north side with glass rising on the three story north section. The windows are horizontal. The roof line is flat. The interior has a large atrium along the south side with staircases ascending to the third story. The Parish District Court courtrooms are located on the third story. The building houses the Parish District Court of the 18th Judicial District. 

 

Old Parish Courthouse –  Plaquemine  

 

 

Location:  209 Main Street / Thesis Street

Built:  1848

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  George Weldon and Thomas Weldon.

Contractor:  George Weldon and Thomas Weldon.

 

Description:  The building faces north a is a one story white colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Plaquemine to the east of the courthouse. The north front has a portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The roof is hipped. The building is now the Iberville Museum. The building was renovated in 1936 and in 1985. The building served as the City Hall from 1906 to 1985.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Old Iberville Parish Courthouse

 

See:  The 18th Judicial District includes Pointe Coupee Parish and West Baton Rouge Parish.

 

History:  The parish was created in 1805 and Plaquemine was selected as the parish seat. The first courthouse was built in 1848 in Plaquemine and is still standing. The second courthouse was constructed in 1906 to 1907 and is the present City Hall. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1981 to 1982.

 

 

Old Parish Courthouse ( City Hall ) – Plaquemine  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

City Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Parish Courthouse – Plaquemine  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Parish Districr Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AA

 

 

 

 

Old Parish Courthouse –  Plaquemine 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2011, 2017 and 2019