Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Louisiana » Assumption Parish

Assumption Parish

Assumption Parish is named for the Assumption Roman Catholic Church, the oldest church in Louisiana.

 

Surrounding Parish Courthouses: 

N – Iberville Parish and Ascension Parish

E – Saint James Parish and Lafourche Parish

S – Terrebonne Parish

W – Saint Mary ParishSaint Martin Parish and Iberia Parish

 

Created:  March 31, 1807                       Map of Louisiana highlighting Assumption Parish

Parish Seat  :        

Madewood Plantation  1807 – 1818

Napoleonville               1818 – present

 

Parish Courthouse – Napoleonville 

 

Location:  4809 Highway 1 / Franklin Avenue

Built:  1896 – 1897

Style:  Italianate

Architect:  Harrod and Andry of New Orleans

Contractor:  M T Lewman and Company of Louisville, Kentucky

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two story white colored stucco  structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Napoleonville. The building is sheathed in white colored stucco. The northeast front has an arched entrance on the first story with two long vertical windows and an iron balcony on the second story and rising to a clock tower. The roof is hipped. In the interior, there is an “L” shaped floor plan with a central hall on the first story. Decorative features include beaded board wainscoting and molded lintels and transoms. There is an Eastlake style balustrade on the staircase. The Parish District Court courtroom is located on the second story and has exposed ceiling beams and molded chair rail. The building houses the Parish District Court of the 23rd Judicial District. The building has a one story north wing and a two south wing with additions constructed in 1960’s and 1985. The building is connected to the 1885 jail on the southwest side. On the southwest side is the modern Parish Police Jury Building.

 

See:  The contractor M T Lewman and Company of Louisville, Kentucky.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Assumption Parish Courthouse

 

See:  The 23rd Judicial District includes Ascension Parish and Saint James Parish.

 

History:  The parish was created in 1807 and Madewood Plantation was the site of the first courthouse in 1807 which stood just across the Lafourche Bayou on the Madewood Plantation. In 1818, Napoleonville was selected as the parish seat. The second courthouse was a Greek style structure built in 1818 and burned. The jail was built in 1885. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1896 to 1897 at a cost of $23,132.

 

Parish Police Jury Building – Napoleonville 

 

 

Location:  4809 Highway 1 / Franklin Avenue

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two story white colored stucco  structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Napoleonville on the northwest side of the courthouse. The building contains the Parish Council Chamber on the first story..

 

 

Parish Courthouse – Napoleonville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Parish District Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Parish Courthouse Annex – Napoleonville

 

 

Parish Police Jury Building – Napoleonville

 

 

 

 

Parish Police Jury Meeting Room

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2011 and 2019