Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Louisiana » Pointe Coupee Parish

Pointe Coupee Parish

Pointe Coupee Parish is named for the French phrase “la pointe coupee” meaning “the place of the cut-off” referring to the False River an oxbow of the Mississippi River.

 

Surrounding Parish Courthouses: 

N – Concordia Parish

E – West Feliciana Parish

S – West Baton Rouge ParishIberville Parish and Saint Martin Parish

W – Saint Landry Parish and Avoyelles Parish

 

Created:  April 10, 1805                         Map of Louisiana highlighting Pointe Coupee Parish

Parish Seat  :        

New Roads  1807 – present

 

Parish Courthouse – New Roads 

 

Location:  201 East Main Street / Court Street

Built:  1902 – 1903

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  Andrew J Bryan & Company of Atlanta, Georgia

Contractor:   M T Lewman of Louisville, Kentucky

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure.  The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of New Roads. The south front has an arched entrance on the first story with a high square clock tower rising to a steep roof. On either side of the entrance are round towers with conical roofs. The building has a sloped roof. On the north side is a two story addition built in 1939. In the interior is the Parish District Court courtroom. The building houses the Parish District Court of the 18th Judicial District. The architect was William T Nolan, Ulisse M Nolan and A W Norman and the contractor was E E Rabalais & Sons and Sciamba and Masion. The buildings were renovated in 1986. The architect was Albin M Herbert and Glenn C Morgan and the contractor was M D Descant, Inc.

 

See: The architect,  Andrew J Bryan, designed the courthouses in Alabama in Coffee County, Lee County and Monroe County; in Georgia in Colquitt County, Pulaski County and Stewart County; in Kentucky in Bracken Couinty and Mercer County; in Mississippi in Attala County and Simpson County; and in Texas in Rains County.

 

See:  The contractor M T Lewman and Company of Louisville, Kentucky.

 

See:  The 18th Judicial District includes Iberville Parish and West Baton Rouge Parish.

 

History:  When the parish was created in 1805, the Spanish and French courthouse at Pointe Coupee along the Mississippi River was used. The building burned in 1846 and the parish seat was moved to New Roads along False River where the second courthouse was built in 1848. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1902 to 1903.

 

Parish Courthouse Annex – New Roads 

 

 

Location:  201 East Main Street / Court Street

Built:  1977 – 1978

Style:  Modern

Architect:  A M Hebert and G C Morgan

Contractor:  Woodrow Wilson Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of New Roads. The north front has a recessed center section with two a square brick pillars and recessed glass wall with center entrance. The roof line is flat.

 

 

Parish Courthouse – New Roads

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Parish Courthouse Addition – New Roads

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Parish District Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Parish Courthouse Annex – New Roads

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2011, 2017 and 2019