Skip to content
Home » US States » M » Maine » Kennebec County

Kennebec County

Kennebec County is named for the Kennebec River which adopted the Indian name of Kennebec which means “level water without rapids or falls”

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Franklin County and Somerset County

E – Waldo County 

S – Lincoln County and Sagadahoc County

W – Androscoggin County

 

Created:  February 20, 1799                                                      Map of Maine highlighting Kennebec County

County Seat: 

Augusta  1799 – present

 

County Courthouse – Augusta  

 

Location:  95 State Street / Winthrop Street

Built:  1829 – 1830

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  James Cochran

Contractor:  James Cochran and Robert C Vose

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story gray colored granite stone  structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the city center and has a portico with sis square stone columns on the first story and white colored columns on the second story. Above the pediment rises a square wood bell tower with open top section. The large County Superior Court courtroom on the second story houses the Supreme Court when it sits in Augusta. An addition was added in 1851 and another addition added in 1907. The architect was G H Desmond. On the east side of the building is the Capital Judicial Center connected by a skywalk on the second story. On the south side is the Old County Jail.

 

See:  The Supreme Court is located in  Cumberland County.

 

County Capital Judicial Center – Augusta  

 

 

Location:  95 State Street / Winthrop Street

Built:  2012 – 2015

Style:  Modern

Architect:  PDT Architects of Portland

Contractor:  Consigli Construction Company Inc. of Milford, Massachusetts

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a four story buff colored brick. glass and concrete structure. The building is located along the east side of the courthouse in the city center. The south front has eight vertical pillars with a horizontal header and behind is the buff colored brick and the glass paneled entrance. The southeast corner has a high dark colored glass tower. The roof line is flat. The building is connected by a skywalk to the courthouse and houses the Superior Court, Family Court and the District Court. 

 

History:  The county was created in 1799 and Augusta was designated as the county seat. The first courthouse had been erected in Market Square in Augusta in 1790 as part of Hallowell Halfshire. The second courthouse was built in 1801. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1827 to 1830. The Capital Judicial Center was constructed in 2012 to 2015 at a cost of $57,000,000.

 

Former District Courthouse – Augusta  

 

 

Location:  145 State Street / Green Street

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a concrete framed central entrance. A wide concrete band runs along the flat roof line. The windows are vertical. The building was demolished when the court moved into the Capital Judicial Center.

 

Other Branch Courthouses

 

Waterville

 

 

County Courthouse – Augusta

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Superior Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Capital Judicial Center – Augusta

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Former District Court Courthouse – Augusta

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Jail – Augusta

Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2018