Skip to content
Home » US States » M » Maine » Somerset County

Somerset County

Somerset County is named for Somerset County in England.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Aroostook County 

E – Piscataquis County and Penobscot County

S – Waldo County and Kennebec County

W – Franklin County and Quebec, Canada

 

Created:  March 1, 1809                                                             Map of Maine highlighting Somerset County

County Seat: 

Norridgewock   1809 – 1872

Skowhegan       1872 – present

 

County Courthouse – Skowhegan  

 

Location:  41 Court Street / High Street

Built:  1873 – 1874

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Charles F Douglas

Contractor:  Foster & Dutton ( Moses C Foster ).

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Skowhegan. The building has a portico on the first story supported by four columns. The second story has arched windows. A narrow horizontal stone band runs between the first and second stories. The roof is green colored and sloped with a pediment on the west side. The building was enlarged and remodeled in 1904. The architect was John Calvin Stevens and the contractor was R J Noyes.

 

Distrist Courthouse – Skowhegan  

 

 

Location:  47 Court Street / High Street

Built:  1995 – 1997

Style:  Modern

Architect:  PDT Architects of Portland

Contractor:  Blane Casey Building Contractor, Inc. of Augusta

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story red brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped across from the County Courthouse in the city center. The south entrance is framed by gray colored concrete with a small canopy. There are narrow horizontal bands. On the roof is a square gray colored cupola. The roof is hipped. The building houses the District Court.

 

History:  The cunty was created in 1809. The court first meet at a meeting house in Norridgewock in 1809.The first courthouse was built by John Ware in 1810. In 1813, a building was erected for the Probate Court at a cost of $1,000. The second courthouse was built at a cost of $4,300. The county seat was moved to Skowhegan in 1872. The Williams Building at Elm Street and Madison Street was reconstructed to house the county office, and the Coburn Hall to house the court. The Third and present courthouse was constructed in 1873 to 1874. The District Courthouse was constructed in 1995 to 1996.

 

 

County Courthouse – Skowhegan

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

District Courthouse – Skowhegan

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2018