Skip to content
Home » US States » N » New Jersey » Gloucester County

Gloucester County

Gloucester County is named for the city of Gloucester in England.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Camden County

E – Atlantic County

S – Cumberland County and Salem County

W – Delaware County, Pennsylvania and Philadephia County, Pennsylvania

 

Created:  March 1, 1686                                                             Map of New Jersey highlighting Gloucester County

County Seat:

Gloucester  1686 – 1787

Woodbury   1787 – present

 

County Courthouse – Woodbury  

 

Location:  1 North Broad Street / Delaware Street

Built:  1885 – 1887

Style:  Victorian Romanesque

Architect:  Hazlehurst & Huckel of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Contractor:  Arthur H Williams of Camden

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a three story stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Woodbury. The southeast front has a central clock tower with arched entrance on the first story, high arched windows on the second story and rising to a clock with steep roof at the top. The roof is hipped with high peaks rising on either side of the clock tower and having large semi-circular windows. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was restored in 1990. The architect was Vitetta Group and the contractor was Pilgrim Construction Company. On the north side is an addition constructed in 1960 to join the courthouse to the old First National Bank. The architect was Thomas J Malone.

 

 

County Building – Woodbury  

 

 

Location:  24 Delaware Street / North Broad Street

Built:  1924 – 1925

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Charles A Peddle

Contractor:  Geeorge W Shaner & Sons

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story limestone, granite and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Woodbury on the west side of the courthouse and is connected by a second story bridge. The building is “T” shaped with the south front having a projecting portico with four Greek Doric columns rising to support the third story. A wide cornice runs below the third story and the third story windows are vertical. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Gloucester County Building. 

 

County Justice Complex – Woodbury  

 

 

Location:  70 Hunter Street / North Broad Street

Built:  2009 – 2011

Style:  Morden

Architect:  Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaun and Joseph McKernan Jr.

Contractor:  Hall Construction Company, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story glass, steel, concrete and red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has a large three story rectangular glass tower with entrance on the west side. The flat roof extends out from the building. On the north and northeast side is the three story red colored brick Justice Center constructed in 1983.

 

Note:  The project manager was Granary / Driscoll.

 

History:  The county was created in 1686 and Gloucester was the first county seat in 1686. The first courthouse was built in 1694 and the second courthouse was built in 1720 to 1722. The courthouse was destroyed by fire on March 7, 1786. The county seat was moved to Woodbury in 1787. Freeholder meetings were temporarily held in a public house then known as The Hessian until the new court house was finished in March, 1787. The third courthouse was a two story red colored brick structure designed and built by Matthew Allen and Isaac Ward in 1787 at a cost of $12,286. The fourth and present courthouse was built in 1885 to 1886 by at a cost of $50,961. The County Justice Complex was constructed in 2009 to 2011 at a cost of $31,113,697.

 

 

Coutnty Courthouse – Woodbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old National Bank – Woodbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Building – Woodbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Justice Complex – Woodbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2017