Skip to content
Home » US States » N » New York » Chenango County

Chenango County

Chenango County is named for an Onondaga Native American word meaning “large bull-thistle”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Madison County

E – Otsego County and Delaware County

S – Broome County

W – Broome County and Cortland County

 

Created:  March 15, 1798                       Map of New York highlighting Chenango County

County Seat:

Norwich  1798 – present

 

County Courthouse – Norwich  

 

Location:  5 Court Street / Fair Street

Built:  1958 – 1960

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Ketcham-Miller-Arnold

Contractor:  J W Rouse Construction Corporation.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Norwich, The courts section is contained in the north wing with entrance at the southwest. The administration is contained in the west wing with entrance in the center of the east front. The roof line is flat.

 

See:  The 6th Judicial District located at 31 Lewis Street in Binghampton and includes Broome County, Chemung County, Cortland CountyDelaware CountyMadison CountyOtsego CountySchuyler CountyTioga County and Tompkins County.

 

Old County Courthouse – Norwich 

 

 

Location:  NW – North Broadway / West Main Street\

Built:  1837 – 1840

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  David Griffing and Alfred Purdy 

Contractor:  David Griffing and Alfred Purdy 

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story gray colored stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Norwich to the east of the courthouse. The east front has a wide porch supported by four large columns rising to a wide pediment. On the center of the roof is a square cupola with gold dome and statue of Justice at the top.

 

History:  The county was created in 1798 and Norwich was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log cabin built by Colonel William Monroe in 1790. The contract for the second courthouse was first awarded to William Randall of Norwich and William Knowlton of Smithville but they were replaced by David Griffing and Alfred Purdy . The cost of construction in 1837 to 1840 exceeded $9,000. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1958 to 1960.

 

County Sheriff Office and Jail – Norwich  

 

 

Location:  NE – Park Street / Court Street

Built:  1902 – 1903

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  William J Breadsley of Poughkeepsie

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Norwich to the east of he courthouse. The south and west fronts have a wide porticoes with three white colored columns. The roof is hipped.

 

 

County Courthouse – Norwich

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Norwich

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Sheriff Office and Jail – Norwich

 

 

Photos taken 2010