Skip to content
Home » US States » N » New York » Delaware County

Delaware County

Delaware County is named for Thomas West, who was the 3rd Baron De La Warr and an early colonial leader in Virginia.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Otsego County and Schoharie County

E – Greene County and Ulster County

S – Ulster CountySullivan County and Wayne County, Pennsylvania

W – Wayne County, Pennsylvania, Broome County and Chenango County

 

Created:  March 10, 1797                       Map of New York highlighting Delaware County

County Seat:

Delhi  1797 – present

 

County Courthouse – Delhi  

 

Location:  3 Court Street / Church Street

Built:  1868 – 1869

Style:  Second Empire

Architect:  Isaac G Perry

Contractor:  Robert Murray, G S  Mead, Charles Hathawa and William B Dowie

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Delhi. The southeast corner has a large square red colored brick tower with arched entrance on the first story and mansard roof at the fourth story. The windows are vertical and arched. There is a mansard roof and dormer windows. An addition wass designed by Lacy & Bartoo and constructed by M Bassman in 1890’s. On the south side is the Clerk’s Office and on the north side is the red colored brick Sheriff’s Residence.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Delaware County Courthouse Square

 

See:  The 6th Judicial District located at 31 Lewis Street in Binghampton and includes Broome County, Chemung County, Chenango CountyCortland CountyMadison CountyOtsego CountySchuyler CountyTioga County and Tompkins County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1797 and Delhi was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was erected after 1797. The second courthouse was built in 1819 to 1820 and is still standing as the Delhi Village Hall. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1868 to 1869.

 

County Clerk’s Office – Delhi  

 

 

Location:  3 Court Street / Church Street

Built:  1877 – 1878

Style:  Second Empire

Architect:  Isaac G Perry

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a one story red colored brick structure. The building is located on the west side of the courthouse in the center of Delhi. The southeast front has a projecting center section with entrance and rising to an ornate pediment at the top. The building has a mansard roof. The windows are vertical and arched. There is a mansard roof. On the north side is the courthouse.

 

County Administration – Delhi  

 

 

Location:  111 Main Street / Church Street

Built:  1985 – 1986

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Herbert W Riemer

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a two story red brick structure. The building is located in the center of Delhi to the south of the courthouse. The northwest front has a large portico supported by four high columns with pediment rising above the roof line. The roof line is flat.

 

Dehli Village Hall – Delhi  

 

Location:   9 Court Street / Church Street

Built:  1819 – 1820

Style:  Colonial

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a three story white colored wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Delhi. The building was erected for the purpose of a courthouse with courtroom on the third story. On the south corner is a large square tower rising to an open cupola with bell. The first story is red colored brick. The roof is hipped.

 

County Courthouse – Delhi

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 County Clerk’s Office – Delhi

 

 

Sheriff’s Residence – Delhi

 

 

County Office Building – Delhi

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2010