Skip to content
Home » US States » N » North Dakota » Oliver County

Oliver County

 

Oliver County is named for Harry S Oliver ( 1855-1909 ) of Lisbon, North Dakota, who was a Republican politician and member of the House of Representatives.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Mercer County and McLean County

E – McLean County and Burleigh County

S – Morton County

W – Mercer County

 

Created:  April 14, 1885                         Map of North Dakota highlighting Oliver County

County Seat: 

Sanger ( Raymond )  1885  – 1902

Center                        1902 – present

 

County Courthouse – Center

 

Location:  315 Main Street / Lakota Avenue

Built:  1978 – 1979

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Ario C Beattie

Contractor:  Harley Miller Construction

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure.  The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Center. On the north front of the building is a concrete portico supported by concrete pillars. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the main hallway runs east-west. The County District Court courtroom is located at the center of the building. The building houses the County District Court of the South Central Judicial District. On the south side is the Museum.

 

See:  The South Central Judicial District includes Burleigh CountyEmmonds County, Grant County, McLean County, Mercer County, Morton CountySheridan County and Sioux County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1885 and Sanger ( Raymond )was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built at a cost of $440. The county seat was moved to Center in 1902. The second courthouse was a two story wood frame structure designed and built by H C Rhud in 1903. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1978 to 1979.

 

 

County Courthouse – Center

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County District Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Commissioner’s Meeting Room

 

 

 

 

Museum – Log Store – Center

 

 

Photos taken 2006 and 2023