Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Ohio » Medina County

Medina County

Medina County is named for the capital of the Al Madinah Province in western Saudi Arabia.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Lorain County and Cuyahoga County

E – Summit County

S – Wayne County

W – Ashland County and Lorain County

 

Created:  February 18, 1812                  Map of Ohio highlighting Medina County

County Seat: 

Medina  1818 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Medina 

 

Location:  93 Public Square / East Liberty Street

Built:  1841 – 1842

Style:  Greek Revival and Victorian

Architect:  D H Weed

Contractor:  D H Weed

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick, stone and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Medina to the north of the courthouse. The west front has a wide porch with projecting rectangular towers on either side. The towers have mansard roofs. Above the porch rises a square clock tower with dome at the top. The building was remodeled in 1873. The architect was Truman Dudley Allen of Minneapolis, Minnesota. Additions to the building were made in 1906, 1933 and 1951. The building was renovated in 2014.

 

See:  The architect Truman Dudley Allen of Minneapolis, Minnesota also designed courthouses in Franklin County and Hardin CountyIowa. Blue Earth CountyRock County and Steele CountyMinnesota and Richland CountyWisconsin.

 

County Courthouse – Medina 

 

 

Location:  93 Public Square / East Liberty Street

Built:  1967 – 1968

Style:  Modern

Architect:  William Boyd Huff

Contractor:  E Alessio Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Medina. The west front has a large portico supported by four white colored columns rising to a wide pediment with clock at the roof line. The recessed door is framed in white colored wood. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line. The building houses the County Court of Common Pleas – General, Domestic Relations, Juvenile and Probate Divisions. An addition was added in 2011. The architect was Silling Associates, Inc. On the south side of the building is the Prosecutors Office constructed in 1999 to 2000. The architect was Richard L Bower + Associates and the contractor was Lakewest Construction Company.

 

See:  Ohio Court of Appeals – Akron ( 9th Appellate District )

 

History:  The county was created in 1812 and Medina was selected as the county seat in 1818 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was a brick structure built on the public square in 1821. The second courthouse was built in 1841 to 1842 and is still standing. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1967 to 1968.

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Medina

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse – Medina

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2010 and 2011