Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Ohio » Pickaway County

Pickaway County

Pickaway County is named for the misspelling of the Piqua Native American tribe, a branch of the Shawnee.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Franklin County

E – Fairfield County and Hocking County

S – Ross County

W – Fayette County and Madison County

 

Created:  March 1, 1810                         Map of Ohio highlighting Pickaway County

County Seat:

Circleville  1810 – present

 

County Courthouse – Circleville 

 

Location:  207 South Court Street / Franklin Street

Built:  1845 – 1847

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  N B Kelly of Columbus

Contractor:  Jacob Strickler, Joseph Kinnear.and other trades

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story brown colored sandstone structure. The building is located onlandscaped grounds in the center of Centerville.. The east front has a central entrance with wide steps in front. The entrance is arched with pilasters on each side and a pediment above.  The center section projects slightly and rises to a large pediment at the gabled roof. On the north side of the entrance is a large square tower rising to a red roof and turrets and with white square cupola with red roof at the top. The north and south sections of the building project slightly from the main building. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County Court of Common Pleas – General, Domestic Relations, Juvenile and Probate. Brickwork was done by Jacob Strickler and lumber supplied by Joseph Kinnear. The building was completely remodeled in 1888 and completed in 1889. The work was done by Doerzback & Decker of Sandusky. The architect was Weary & Kramer. During construction, the superintendent was William Doane.

 

See:  Ohio Court of Appeals – Chillicothe ( 4th Appellate District  )

 

History:  The county was created in 1810 and Circleville was selected as the county seat. The county rented a room in the home of Henry Nevill in  Jefferson in 1810  as the first courthouse. In 1811, the county rented the upper story of the home of Jacob Zieger at North Scioto Street and West High Street as the second courthouse. The third courthouse was a brick structure built in 1813 to 1814. Court hearings were held in the Lutheran Church on West Franklin Street and United Brethren Church on East Main Street. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1845 to 1847. The building was enlarged in 1888.

 

 

County Courthouse – Circleville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2012 and 2018