Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Oregon » Douglas County

Douglas County

Douglas County is named for Stephen A Douglas, who was Secretary of State in 1840, a Representative to Congress, a United States Senator and a candidate for President in 1860.


Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Lane County

E – Klamath County

S – Jackson CountyJosephine County and Curry County

W – Coos County and Pacific Ocean


Created:  January 7, 1852                      Map of Oregon highlighting Douglas County

County Seat: 

Winchester 1852 – 1854

Roseburg    1854 – present


County Courthouse – Roseburg


Location:  1036 SE Douglas Street / SE Main Street

Built:  1928 – 1929

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  John Tourtell and Frank Hummel

Contractor:  Elmer R Metzger.


Description:  The building faces southwest and is a three story white colored concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Roseburg. The southwest front has a wide porch with six columns rising to a wide header with projecting eave and balustrade above. The supervisor was John E Runyan. Additions were added on the west and east sides in 1956. The architect was Lyle F Glenn and the contractor was W H Shields General Construction.. Another addition was constructed in 1977.


Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1855. The second courthouse was built in 1870. The third courthouse was designed by Charles H Burggraf and constructed in 1891.


County Justice Building – Roseburg



Location:  1036 SE Douglas Street / SE Main Street

Built:  1974 – 1976

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Wolff, Zimmer, Gunsul & Frasco

Contractor:  Todd Building Company


Description:  The building faces southwest and is a four story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on the north side of the courthouse and is connected by a second story bridge with glass panel walls. The windows are horizontal. The roof line is flat. .



County Courthouse – Roseburg





















County Justice Building – Roseburg











Photos taken 2015