Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Oregon » Lake County

Lake County

Lake County is named for the numerous lakes and hot springs in the area.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Deschutes County

E – Harney County

S – Washoe County, Nevada and Modoc County, California 

W – Kalamath County

 

Created:  October 24, 1874                    Map of Oregon highlighting Lake County

County Seat: 

Linkville     1874 – 1876

Lakeview  1876 – present

 

County Courthouse – Lakeview  

 

Location:  513 Center Street / F Street

Built:  1954 – 1955

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Morrison & Howard

Contractor:  McCormack Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick, steel and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lakeview and forms an “L” shape. Along the west front are vertical green colored pillars. The lower wing extends west with the main entrance at the junction with the east wing. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the second story of the east wing. On the grounds are the bells from the 1909 County Courthouse.

 

History:  The county was created in 1874 and Linkville ( Klamath Falls, later county seat of Kalamath County ) was designated as the county seat. The county seat moved to Lakeview in 1876 and the first courthouse was erected on land donated by M W Bullard one of the first settlers. The second courthouse was designed by Charles H Burggraf and constructed by Charles W Casky of Seattle ( chief carpenter )under the supervision of W A Wingate of Lakeview in 1908 to 1909. The building was razed for construction of the third and present courthouse in 1954 to 1955 at a cost of $366,427.

 

 

County Courthouse – Lakeview

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bells from 1909 County Courthouse

Photos taken 2015