Snyder County is named for Simon Snyder, who was a Governor of the State of Pennsylvania.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Union County
S – Dauphin County, Perry County and Juniata County
W – Mifflin County
Created: March 2, 1855 ![]()
County Seat:
Middleburg 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Middleburg
Location: 9 West Market Street / South Main Street
Built: 1915 – 1916
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: J F Stetler & Son
Contractor: R F Coy.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Middleburg. The north front has a double arched entrance with portico above supported by four white colored columns with pediment. A wide cornice encircles the roofline. Over the front part of the building is a large square wood bell tower with clock and white colored roof. The building houses the Court of Common Pleas of the 17th Judicial District. An annex was added in 1977 on the southwest side. The architect was L Robert Kimball & Associates and the contractor was Begh-Stark Construction Company. The building is tied into a commercial building on the east side by an enclosed hallway. In 2021, the two story red colored brick M & T Bank Building on the east side, was purchased and renovated. The contractor was T Ross Brothers of Montandon.
Note: Parts of the first courthouse remain underneath and to the rear of the bell tower and are built into these later additions.
History: The county was created in 1855 and Middleburg was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1855. The courthouse was remodeled in 1867. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1915. The Annex was constructed in 1977.
County Courthouse – Middleburg
Photos taken 2006 and 2011
Images 9
