Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Pennsylvania » Union County

Union County

Union County is named for the Federal Union of the United States of America.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N  – Lycoming County

E – Northumberland County

S – Snyder County

W – Miflin CountyCentre County and Clinton County

 

Created:  March 23, 1813                       Map of Pennsylvania highlighting Union County

County Seat:

Mifflinburg   1813 – 1815

New Berlin   1815 – 1855

Lewisburg    1855 – present

 

County Courthouse – Lewisburg

 

Location:  103 South 2nd Street / St. Louis Street

Built:  1855 – 1857

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Lewis Palmer

Contractor:  Lewis Palmer

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lewisburg. The east front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Wide eaves run along the roof line. On the center of the roof is a white colored octagonal cupola with bell. The newer section built in 1971 to 1973 was constructed by Steve Black and A G Crunkleton.


Note:  The bell in the courthouse tower was the gift of Simon Cameron, Secretary of War under Abraham Lincoln.

 

Old County Courthouse – New Berlin

 

Location:  SE – Market & Vine

Built:  1814 – 1815

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is three bays wide and four bays deep with a gable roof. The roof features a center cupola. The building was renovated in 1855 to 1857 and was converted to a schoolhouse until 1952. The building now houses the New Berlin Heritage Museum, also known as the New Berlin Post Office and the Courthouse Museum.

 

History:  The county was created in 1813 and Mifflinburg was selected as the county seat. The county seat was moved to New Berlin in 1815 and the first courthouse, a two story brick structure, was built. The county seat was moved to Lewisburg in 1855. The second courthouse was constructed in 1855 to 1857.

 

 

County Courthouse – Lewisburg   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2011