Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Arkansas » Clay County

Clay County

Clay County is named for John M Clayton, who was a state Senator in Arkansas.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Ripley County, Missouri, Butler County, Missouri and Dunklin County, Missouri

E – Dunklin County, Missouri

S – Greene County

W – Randolph County

 

Created:  November 24, 1873                Map of Arkansas highlighting Clay County

County Seat:

Piggott   1873 – present  ( Eastern District )

Corning  1873 – present  ( Western District )

* Clay County has two county seats

 

County Courthouse – Piggott ( Eastern District )

 

Location:  151 South 2nd Avenue / West Main Street

Built:  1965 – 1966

Style:  Modern

Architect:   Donnellan & Porterfield

Contractor:  Cox Lumber Company, Inc. and Emmett Crittenden.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Piggott. The north and south wings extend from the main building with the recessed centre section having the entrance and an overhang supported by four thin columns.The roof line is flat. Behind the entrance, the height of the building rises over the County Circuit Court courtroom at the center.

 

County Courthouse – Corning ( Western District )

 

 

Location:  800 West 2nd Street / West Chestnut Street

Built:  1965 – 1966

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Donnellan & Porterfield

Contractor:  Cox Lumber Company, Inc. and Emmett Crittenden

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Corning. The north and south wings extend from the main building with the recessed center section having the entrance and an overhang. The roof line is flat. Behind the entrance, the height of the building rises over the County Circuit Court courtroom at the center. The building house the County Circuit Court – Western Division of the 2nd Judicial District. 

 

See:  The 2nd Judicial District includes Craighead CountyCrittenden CountyGreene CountyMississippi County and Poinsett County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1873 and Corning was selected as the county seat. In 1877 the county seat was moved to Boydsville. In 1881 Corning and Boydsville become dual county seats. In 1n 1887 the eastern county seat was moved to Piggott. The first courthouse was designed by Charles Thompson and constructed by Patrick Power in 1888 in Corning. The second courthouse was designed by Charles Thompson and constructed by Patrick Power in 1899 in Piggott. The third and present eastern courthouse was constructed in 1965 to 1966 in Corning. The fourth and present western courthouse was constructed in 1965 to 1966 in Piggott.

 

 

County Courthouse – Piggott

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

Picture 1899 County Courthouse – Western

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse – Corning

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

Picture 1888 County Courthouse – Eastern

Photos taken 2009