Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Arkansas » Crittenden County

Crittenden County

Crittenden County is named for Robert Crittenden, who was Governor of the Arkansas Territory.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Poinsett County and Mississippi County

E – Tipton County, Tennessee and Shelby County, Tennessee and DeSoto County, Mississippi

S – Tunica County, Mississippi

W – Lee CountySaint Francis County and Cross County

 

Created:  October 22, 1825                    Map of Arkansas highlighting Crittenden County

County Seat:

Greenock  1825 – 1827

Earion       1827 – 1873

Marion      1873 – present

 

County Courthouse – Marion 

 

Location:  100 Court Street / Center Street

Built:  1910 – 1911

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  Chamberlin and Company of Fort Worth, Texas

Contractor:  Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the eastern side of the center of Marion. The south front has a large portico with six high Doric columns rising to a header at the roof line and with raised section above. The corners of the building are trimmed. On the center of the roof is a large rounded dome with red colored roof. On the west side is a modern dark red colored brick addition built in 1977.. The architect was Jackson + Hudspeth and the contractor was Advance Construction, Inc.

 

Note:  The courthouse is similar in design to the Quitman County courthouse in Mississippi. The architect and contractor were the same.

 

See:  The 2nd Judicial District includes Clay County, Craighead CountyGreene CountyMississippi County and Poinsett County.

 

History:  Greenock served as the first county seat until 1827, but no courthouse was constructed. In 1827 Earion became the county seat and frame courthouse was erected as the first courthouse. A cyclone destroyed the courthouse and in 1873, a two-story brick second courthouse was constructed in Marion. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1909. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1911 to 1912 at a cost of $99,700.

 

County Administration – Marion 

 

 

Location:  100 Court Street / Center Street

Built:  1957 – 1958

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Elmer A Stuck and Associates

Contractor:  Frank H Lee and Company

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the east side of the courthouse on the eastern side of the center of Marion. The south front has a canopy over the first story entrance. The east and west sides have horizontal windows. The roof line is flat.

 

 

County Courthouse – Marion

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Office Building – Marion

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2012 and 2018