Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Arkansas » Cross County

Cross County

 

Cross County is named for David C Cross, who was a Confederate soldier in the American Civil War and a local politician.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Poinsett County

E – Crittenden County

S – Saint Francis County

W – Woodruff County and Jackson County

 

Created:  November 15, 1862                Map of Arkansas highlighting Cross County

County Seat:

Wittsburg   1862 – 1863

Pineville     1863 – 1865

Cleburne    1865 – 1868

Wittsburg   1868 – 1886

Vanndale   1886 – 1903

Wynne       1903 – present

 

County Courthouse – Wynne

 

Location:  705 Union Avenue / South Falls Boulevard

Built:  1968 – 1969

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Stuck, Frier, Lane & Scott Incorporated

Contractor:  Cone Huddleston Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a one story buff and brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Wynne. The north section is lower than the south section. At the center is the main recessed entrance with glass panel hallway connecting the north administrative section with the south court section. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the large County Circuit Court courtroom is located in the south section. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 1st Judicial District. The County District Court is located in the south section.

 

See:  The 1st Judicial District includes Lee County, Monroe County, Phillips CountySaint Francis County and Woodruff County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1862 and Wittsburg was selected as the county seat. In 1863, the county seat was moved to Pineville and the home of Dr. B D McClaran was used as the first courthouse. In 1865 the county seat was moved to Cleburne. In 1868, the county seat was returned to Wittsburg. In 1886, the county seat was moved to Vanndale and the second courthouse was built in 1888. The county seat was moved to Wynne in 1903. The third courthouse was designed by Bruce Architectural Company and built by M T Lewman & Company in 1904. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1968 to 1969.

 

 

County Courthouse – Wynne

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse  in Vanndale  1888 – 1903

 

 

County Courthouse in Wynne  1904 – 1969

Photos taken 2011 and 2018