Jackson County is named for Andrew Jackson, who was the 7th President of the United States from 1829 to 1837.
Surriunding County Courthouses:
N – Lawrence County
E – Craighead County, Poinsett County and Cross County
S – Woodruff County and White County
W – White County and Independence County
![]()
Created: November 5, 1829
County Seat:
Thomas Wideman House 1829 – 1832
Litchfield 1832 – 1839
Elizabeth 1839 – 1852
Augusta 1852 – 1853
Jacksonport 1853 – 1892
Newport 1892 – present
County Courthouse – Newport
Location: 208 Main Street / 3rd Street
Built: 1892 – 1893
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: George H Johnston of Joplin, Missouri and Lazar Hirsch
Contractor: George H Johnston of Joplin, Missouri and Henry H Wisyed
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story red colored brick, stone and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Newport. The foundation is course stone. The southeast front has a high central clock tower with arched entrance on the first story and rising to a clock with parapets at the top and a statue of Lady Justice On the northeast corner is a square tower with sloped roof and on the southeast corner is a square tower with conical roof. The building has a hipped roof. In the interior, the County Circuit Court courtroom is located on the second story. The courtroom has many of the original features including paneled woodwork in the jury box and witness stand, wainscoting and oak doors. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 3rd Judicial Circuit. The building was renovated in 1939. The architect was McAninch and Anderson and the contractor was Linebarger and Fraser.
See: The 3rd Judicial Circuit includes Lawrence County, Randolph County and Sharp County.
Old County Courthouse – Jacksonport
Location: 205 Avenue Street / Dillard Street
Built: 1869 – 1872
Style: Romanesque
Architect: Harrison Dwinal, Jerry Green and W E Patterson ( Commissioners )
Contractor: Thomas Cox and John A Schnable
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the Jacksonport State Park. The north front has a central arched entrance on the first story. The windows are arched. The red colored mansard roof has dormers. On the center of the roof is a large square cupola with red colored dome. In the interior are wood floors, wood staircase and high ceilings. The former courtroom is located along the south side of the second story. The architect was Harrison Dwinal, Jerry Green and W E Patterson (Commissioners)and the contractor was Thomas Cox and John A Schnable. The building was renovated in 1963 to 1967 and in 1999. The architect was Steelman Connell Moseley of Little Rock and the contractor was Jim Wood Company Inc. of Little Rock.
History: The county was created in 1829 and the first county seat was at the house of early pioneer Thomas Wideman, In 1832 Litchfield was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in Litchfield in 1832. In 1839 the county seat was moved to Elizabeth. In 1852 the county seat was again moved to Augusta and then to Jacksonport in 1853. The second courthouse was constructed in Jacksonport in 1869 to 1872 at a cost of $17,760. In 1892, the county seat was moved to Newport and the third and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $40,412.
County Courthouse – Newport
Statue of Lady Justice which was at the top of the tower
County Circuit Court courtroom
Old Jackson County Courthouse – Jacksonport
Former Courtroom
Photos taken 2011
Images 24*
