Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Colorado » Moffat County

Moffat County

Moffat County is named for David H Moffatt, who was a tycoon and railroad builder.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Sweetwater County, Wyoming and Carbon County, Wyoming

E – Routt County

S – Rio Blanco County

W – Uintah County, Utah and Daggett County, Utah

 

Created:  February 27, 1911                   Map of Colorado highlighting Moffat County

County Seat:

Craig  1911 – present

 

County Courthouse – Craig

 

Location:  221 West Victory Way / Barclay Street

Built:  1917 – 1918

Style: Modernistic

Architect:  William Norman Bowman of Denver

Contractor:   Eric Smith

 

Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Craig. The center section extends from the main building and has a large entrance lobby. There is metal siding on the upper portion of the south front. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County District Court and County Court of the 14th Judicial District. The building was remodeled in 1932 and again in 1962 changing the building from a Classical Revival style.  The architect was Nixon and Jones Associates and the contractor was Frank Sperber. On the north side is the old stone County Jail.

 

Note:  In 1918, the original courthouse was a three story rectangular shaped structure with large portico supported by six large columns. In 1962, the building was reduced to two stories and portico removed.

 

See:  The architect, William N Bowman of Denver, Colorado, designed courthouses in Colorado in Jackson CountyMontrose County and Weld County and in Nebraska in Scotts Bluff County.

 

New County Courthouse – Craig

 

Location:  2000 West Victory Way / West Drive

Built:  1993 – 1994

Style: Modern Commercial

Architect:  Dresher & Associates

Contractor:   Ellsworth-Peck

 

Description: The building faces north and is a one story glass and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds to the west of the center of Craig. The building was originally constructed as a K Mart store. The engineer was Engineering Inc. The building was remolded as a two story structure.

 

See:  The 14th Judicial District includes Grand County and  Routt glass and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds to the west of the center of County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1911 and Craig was selected as the county seat. From 1911 to 1917, the first courthouse was a building at the corner of Breeze Street and Main Street (Victory Way). The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1917 to 1918.

 

 

County Courthouse – Craig

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Picture 1918 County Courthouse

Photos taken 2011