Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Colorado » Weld County

Weld County

Weld County is named for Lewis Ledyard Weld, the first secretary of the Territory of Colorado.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Laramie County, Wyoming and Kimball County, Nebraska

E – Logan County and Morgan County

S – Adams County and Broomfield County

W – Boulder County and Larimer County

 

Created:  November 1, 1861                  Map of Colorado highlighting Weld County

County Seat:

St. Vrain   1861 – 1868

Latham     1869 – 1870

Evans       1870 – 1874

Greeley     1874 – 1875

Evans       1875 – 1877

Greeley     1877 – present

 

County Courthouse – Greeley

 

Location:  901 9th Avenue / 9th Street

Built:  1915 – 1917

Style:  Classicial Revival

Architect:  William N Bowman

Contractor:  Seerie and Varnum

 

Description: The building faces east and is a four story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Greeley. The building is constructed of Indiana limestone and terra cotta. On the east front are eight large stone columns with recessed windows on the second to fourth stories. On the roof is a stone balustrade and a clock. On the first story are arched entrances and windows. The interior lobby is dominated by a staircase, notable for its elaborate ironwork which is carried to all stories. White colored marble from the quarry near Marble, Colorado, comprises not only the main staircase but interior columns, floors on the first three stories, and, in one courtroom, wainscoting, floor, and judge’s bench. Each landing of the main white colored marble staircase features three large and skillfully wrought stained glass windows. The colors range from subtle to vivid, and the designs incorporate such subjects as flowers, color patterns and the Colorado seal. There is a circular opening surrounded by an intricately wrought bronze balustrade in the center of the corridors of the third and fourth stories. No wood was used except the handrails on the main marble stairway and circular balustrades. The lamps throughout the building are of solid bronze and feature intricate designs. Highlighting the interior are figures and designs molded in plaster or carved in marble that symbolize many of the activities that engage the government. The building houses the County District Court and County Court of the 19th Judicial District. The building was rstored in 1964 to 1965. On the south side are the modern brick county buildings.

 

Note:  All clocks in the courthouse are operated by a master pneumatic large grandfather clock. Above the door in one courtroom, is a replica of a woman representing the law. A jewel in the center of her forehead represents knowledge, and below the head are carved scales representing balanced law. Fruits on each side of this represent the fruits of justice.  At the top of the judge’s bench is a ball which depicts universal law; being above the judge, it signifies universal law above man-made law represented by the judge. The clock is ringed by a green colored wreath which represents justice; and on each side of the clock and its surrounding wreath are two white, winged dragon-like beasts with open, sinister, red mouths symbolizing the evil genie of Babylonian times who incited evil and criminal instincts in man. The clock represents time, and since the judge sits at the opposite end of the room, his eyes often fall upon the clock; the judge “spends his time bringing evil to justice.”

 

See:  The architect, William N Bowman of Denver, Colorado, designed courthouses in Colorado in Jackson County, Moffat County and Montrose County and in Nebraska in Scotts Bluff County.

 

Note:  In 1861, Weld County was one of the 17 original counties

 

History:  The county was created in 1861 and St. Vrain was the county seat. The county was attached to Arapahoe County and Larimer County for judicial purposes until 1867. The first courthouse was a small one room log cabin built by Andrew Lumry and located on his farm between St. Vrain and Platteville. In 1869, the county seat was moved to Latham. The second courthouse was the Overland Trail Station built in 1862 and used as a courthouse from 1869 to 1870. The county seat was moved to Evans in 1870.  And then to Greeley in 1874 where the third courthouse was a building in Block 36 used for official purposes for seven years. The county seat was moved back to Evans in 1875 and then returned to Greeley in 1877 where the fourth courthouse, a one story frame structure was built on the corner of 7th Street and 9th Avenue. The courthouse also served as the Greeley Town Hall. The fifth courthouse was a two story brick structure built by Newell & Rubicam in 1883 at 9th Street and 9th Avenue. The sixth and present courthouse was constructed in 1915 to 1917 at a cost of $414,000.

 

See:  The first courthouse, the Andrew Lumry cabin is located in the Centennial Village Museum in Greeley at 1475 A Street and North 14th Avenue.

 

County Courthouse Complex – Greeley

 

 

Location: 901 9th Avenue / 9th Street

Built:  1974 – 1976

Style:  Modern

Architect:  CNC/NHPQ Inc.

Contractor:  Hensel Pheleps Construction Company

 

Description: The building faces north and are three story red colored brick and concrete structures. The main building faces north. The buildings are located on landscaped grounds in the center of Greeley. The buildings form a “U” with the west building being the same design. The buildings surround a courtyard with the courthouse in the northeast section. The roof lines are flat. 

 

 

County Courthouse – Greeley 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Courthouse Complex – Greeley

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2007 and 2011