Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Colorado » Ouray County

Ouray County

Ouray County is named for Chief Ouray who was a Ute Indian chief.      

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Montrose County

E – Gunnison County and Hinsdale County

S – San Juan County

W – San Miguel County

   

Created:  January 18, 1877                    Map of Colorado highlighting Ouray County

County Seat:

Ouray  1877 – present

 

County Courthouse – Ouray

 

Location:  541 South 4th Street / 6th Avenue

Built:  1888 – 1889

Style:  Queen Anne and Romanesque

Architect:  Frank E. Edbrooke

Contractor:  Frank Carney

 

Description: The building faces west and is a two story dark red colored brick structure. The building is located in the center of Ouray. The west front has a small porch at the first story entrance. The center section projects slightly and rises to a three story tower with arched open windows on the third story and bell shaped roof at the top. The roof is hipped. The building houses the District Court and County Court of the 7th Judicial District. In May 1898, the roof caught fire and there was water damage. The second story courtroom was added. An addition was added in 1976. The architect was Charles Conniffe Architect and the contractor was White Construction Group. In 2018 to 2020 the building was restored. The architect was Charles Cunniffe Architects and the contractor was FCI Constructors, Inc. of Durango. On the east side of the courthouse is the attached red colored brick jail built in 1898.

 

See:   The 7th Judicial District includes Delta CountyGunnison CountyHinsdale County, Montrose County and San Miguel County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1877 and Ouray was selected as the county sear. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1888 to 1889 at cost of $22,336, plus an additional $13,000 to install heating and furnishings. The cost of the 2018 restoration was $8,017,695.

 

 

County Courthouse – Ouray

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Statue of Chief Ouray

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2011