Skip to content
Home » US States » A-G » Florida » Taylor County

Taylor County

Taylor County is named for Zachery Taylor, who was a hero of the Mexican War and President of the United States of America.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

– Madison County

E – Lafayette County and Dixie County

S – Gulf of Mexico

W – Jefferson County

 

Created:  December 23, 1856                Map of Florida highlighting Taylor County

County Seat:

Perry  1856 – present

 

County Courthouse – Perry 

 

Location:  108 North Jefferson Street / East Main Street

Built:  1970 – 1971

Style:  Modern

Architect:  API Construction Company

Contractor:  API Construction Company

 

Description: The building faces west and is a three story rectangular buff-brown colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Perry. In 1983 the building was completely remodeled. The west front has an extended porch on the first story. There are smaller porches on the north and south sides. Vertical square pillars divide the windows. In the interior, the large County Circuit Court courtroom is located on the west side of the third story. A smaller courtroom is located is located on the southwest side of the second story. The building houses the Circuit Court of the 3rd Judicial Circuit and County Court. In 1983, the renovation architect was Jim Robertson & Associates and the contractor was Harlie Lynch Construction Company.

 

See:  The 1907 courthouse that was razed was a twin to the courthouse in Giles County, Tennessee.

 

See:  The 3rd Judicial Circuit includes Columbia CountyDixie County, Hamilton County, Lafayette County, Madison County and Suwannee County

 

See:  The county is located in the First Judicial District of the Court of Appeal – First Judicial District located in Tallahassee.

 

History:  The county was created in 1856 and Perry was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log structure built in Rosehead ( Perry ) in 1858. The second courthouse was a wood structure built in 1871 to 1872 by A J Cruse with local labor. The third courthouse was another wood structure built by J J Andrews in 1891 to 1892. In 1902 F M Dobson constructed a vault at a cost of $2,300. The fourth courthouse was designed by Benjamin Bosworth Smith and constructed by C C Totherow & Company Construction in 1907 to 1908 at a cost of $54,000. The building was razed in 1968. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed by API Construction Company in 1970 to 1971 and was remodeled in 1983.

 

 

County Courthouse – Perry

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2009