Henry County is named for Patrick Henry, who was a Governor of Virgin.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Fulton County
E – Lucas County and Wood County
S – Putnam County
W – Defiance County and Williams County,
Created: April 1, 1820 ![]()
County Seat:
Napoleon 1820 – present
County Courthouse – Napoleon
Location: 1330 North Scott Street / Perry Street
Built: 1880 – 1881
Style: Second Empire
Architect: David W Gibbs
Contractor: Karst & Woodruff
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located in the center of Napoleon. The building has a raised basement. The west front and north sides have small porches on the first story with four thin columns and a balcony on the second story. The projecting center section rises to a pediment at the third story. On each corner are square towers with steep roofs. On the center of the roof is a large square white colored cupola with clock and Statue of Justice at the top. The building has a mansard roof. In the interior is an ornate metal staircase. The County Court of Common Pleas courtroom is located on the south side of the second story. The building houses the County Court of Common Pleas. In 1954, the building was renovated. The architect was Hahn & Hayes of Toledo and the contractor was Robert E Kayser of Toledo. The entrance was altered in 1964. The architect was Hahn & Hayes of Toledo and the contractor was C F Gerken & Sons, Inc. The building was renovated in 1972. The architect was Hahn & Hayes of Toledo and the contractor was Mel Lanzer Construction, Inc. The building was restored in 1998. The architect was Gaede, Serne Architects Inc. and the contractor was Mosser Construction Inc. On the east side is the old red colored brick Sheriff’s Residence designed by David W Gibbs and built in 1883.
See: The architect David W Gibbs designed courthouses in Fayette County, Marion County and Union County.
.
See: Ohio Court of Appeals – Lima ( 3rd Appellate District )
History: The county was created in 1820 and Napoleon was selected as the county seat in 1835 when the county was organized in 1834. Before then the county had been attached to Putnam County, Paulding County and Williams County for judicial purposes with Defiance being the judicial seat. The first courthouse was a log cabin built in 1832. The second courthouse was a two story cabin built in 1844 by Michael Shurman at a cost of $2,000. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1847. The third courthouse was built in 1849 to 1850 at a cost of $7,495. The courthouse was also destroyed by fire in 1879. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1880 to 1881 at a cost of $95,000.
County Courthouse – Napoleon
County Court of Common Pleas courtroom
Sheriff Residence – Napoleon
Photos taken 2010, 2011 and 2018
Images 20*
