Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Ohio » Union County

Union County

Union County is named for the union of parts of Delaware, Franklin, Madison and Logan Counties to form Union County in 1820.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Hardin County and Marion County 

E – Marion CountyDelaware County and Franklin County

S – Madison County

W – Champaign County and Logan County

 

Created:  April 1, 1820                            Map of Ohio highlighting Union County

County Seat:

Milford Center   1820 – 1822

Marysville          1822 – present

 

County Courthouse –  Marysville 

 

Location:  215 West 5th Street / South Court Street

Built:  1880 – 1883

Style:  Renaissance

Architect:  David W Gibbs of Toledo

Contractor:  Karst & Woodruff

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Marysville. The north front has a portico supported by four thin columns with balcony on the second story with arched doorway. Above is a white colored pediment. There is a mansard roof with square clock tower rising another three stories. There are galvanized iron trimmings. The courtroom is located on the west side of the second story. The building houses the County Court of Common Pleas – General, Domestic Relations, Juvenile and Probate Divisions. The building was renovated and restored in 1994. The architect was Wright-Miller Associates of Columbus. On the west side is the modern three story red colored brick and concrete Justice Center constructed from 2000 to 2001. The architect was Meacham & Apel Architects Inc. and the contractor was Weithman Brothers Inc.

 

Note:  The courthouse is constructed of more than 600,000 bricks and is the same design as the courthouse in Henry County.

 

See:  The architect David W Gibb designed courthouses in Fayette CountyHenry CountyMarion County.

 

See:  Ohio Court of Appeals – Lima  ( 3rd Appellate District )

 

History:  The county was created in 1820 and Milford Center was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a small one story log structure built in Milford Center in 1820 ( a replica remains at 8 East State Street ). The county seat was moved to Marysville in 1822 and the second courthouse, a two story frame structure was built. The third courthouse was a two story structure built in 1838. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1880 to 1883.

 

  

County Courthouse – Marysville

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old Jail Door

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2006, 2015 and 2018