Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Ohio » Marion County

Marion County

Marion County is named for Francis Marion, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1732 to 1795.


Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Wyandot County and Crawford County

E – Morrow County 

S – Delaware County and Union County

W – Hardin County


Created:  April 1, 1820                            Map of Ohio highlighting Marion County

County Seat:

Marion  1820 – present


County Courthouse – Marion 


Location:  100 North Main Street / Center Street

Built:  1884 – 1886

Style:  Second Empire

Architect:  David W Gibbs

Contractor:  Leffler & Bland


Description:  The building faces west and is a two story buff colored Amherst Sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Marion. The west front has a projecting center section with an arched entrance on the first story and a portico with four Corinthian columns on the second story rising to a pediment at the roof line. A similar section is on the south side.  The windows on the first story are arched. On the center of the roof is a large square clock tower with clock at the top with dome and statue of Lady Justice at the top. The facade has several portholes with heads staring out. Four represent the race of man, A Native American chief, an Asian, an African-American, and a Caucasian woman. Also included are pioneers and the age cycle of mankind, going from young to old. One porthole even contains a head familiar to William Shakespeare. The building contains the County Court of Common Pleas. 


See:  The courthouse is similar to the courthouse in Fayette County and  Eaton County, in Michigan all designed by David W Gibbs. The blueprints are a modification from even older designs for the courthouses in Henry County and Union County.


See:  Ohio Court of Appeals – Lima  ( 3rd Appellate District )


History:  The county was created in 1820 and Marion was selected as the county seat in 1824. The first courthouse was constructed by Solomon Geller in 1833. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1884.



County Courthouse – Marion



























Photos taken 2015