Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Ohio » Wyandot County

Wyandot County

Wyandot County is named for the Wyandot Native American tribe and the word means “around the plains” and “dwellers on the peninsula”.


Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Seneca County

E – Crawford County

S – Marion County

W – Hardin County and Hancock County


Created:  February 3, 1845                    Map of Ohio highlighting Wyandot County

County Seat:

Upper Sandusky  1845 – present


County Courthouse – Upper Sandusky 


Location:  109 South Sandusky Avenue / East Wyandot Avenue

Built:  1897 – 1900

Style:  Beaux Arts /  Classical Revival

Architect:  Joseph Warren Yost of Cleveland & Frank L Packard of Columbus

Contractor:  Christian Boseker & Son


Description:  The building faces west and is a two story buff colored stone, steel, iron and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Upper Sandusky. The courthouse features a central cupola with clock and green colored dome and its north and west arched entrances have protruding pediments supported by fluted columns with Corinthian capitals. The flat roof of the building features a white colored dome on each of its four corners. Each of these domes is topped with a statue of Lady Justice. The main staircase is of Tennessee marble tile. The building houses the County Court of Common Pleas. 


Note:  The courthouse is located 1000 feet east of the site of Fort Ferree, the main headquarters of General William Henry Harrison’s army in the War of 1812. Many of the soldiers who died in battle are buried in the courthouse yard.


See: The architect, Joseph Warren Yost of Cleveland, designed courthouses in Belmont CountyGuernsey County, Harrison County, Holmes County, Miami County, Perry County and Wood County.


See:  Ohio Court of Appeals – Lima  ( 3rd Appellate District  )


History:  The county was created in 1845 and Upper Sandusky was selected as the county seat, The first courthouse was the Wynadot Council House built in 1830. The second courthouse was constructed in 1849 by William Young, John W Kennedy and John Junkins. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1897 to 1900 at a cost of $140,372.



County Courthouse – Upper Sandusky

















Photos taken 2015