Skip to content
Home » US States » O-U » Ohio » Harrison County

Harrison County

Harrison County is named for William Henry Harrison, who was an officer during the War of 1812.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Carroll County

E – Jefferson County

S – Belmont County

W – Guernsey County and Tuscarawas County

 

Created:  February 1, 1813                    Map of Ohio highlighting Harrison County

County Seat:

Cadiz  1813 – present

 

County Courthouse – Cadiz 

 

Location:  100 West Market Street / Main Street

Built:  1893 – 1895

Style:  Second Empire

Architect:  Joseph Warren Yost of Cleveland & Frank L Packard of Columbus

Contractor:  E M Long

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two story Berea Sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Cadiz. The northeast front has a large one story portico supported by six columns and with balcony on the second story. The second story windows are arched. The second story has columns with a wide pediment at the roof line. On the corners are mansard roofed towers. On the center of the roof is a high clock tower with dome and statue of Justice. In the interior. the County Court of Common Pleas courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County Court of Common Pleas, County Probate/Juvenile Court and County Court. The building was renovated in 1993.

 

See: The architect, Joseph Warren Yost of Cleveland, designed courthouses in Belmont County, Guernsey CountyHolmes County, Miami County, Perry County, Wood County and Wyandot County.

 

See:  Ohio Court of Appeals – Youngstown ( 7th Appellate District )

 

History:  The county was created in 1813 and Cadiz was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story structure built by John McCurdy in 1819. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1893 to 1895 at a cost of $86,985.

 

 

County Courthouse – Cadiz

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Statue of John A Bingham

 

 

 

 

County Court of Common Pleas courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Picture 1819 County Courthouse

Photos taken 2015