Portage County is named for the overland carry between the Fox River and the Wisconsin River.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Marathon County
E – Waupaca County
S – Waushara County and Adams County
W – Wood County
![]()
Created: December 7, 1836
County Seat:
Portage City 1836 – 1844
Plover 1844 – 1868
Stevens Point 1868 – present
County Courthouse – Stevens Point
Location: 1517 Church Street / Arlington Place
Built: 1958 – 1959
Style: Modern
Architect: Ray R Gauger and Gage M Taylor
Contractor: Orville E Madsen & Son.
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story stone, brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Stevens Point. On the northeast side of the building there is a polished red colored stone center section divided by vertical black colored pillars and cornice. On either side of the center section is white colored polished stone facing, with a block of windows in the west section. The rest of the building has light colored flag stone facing. Around the building is an alteration of the different stone facings. The roof line is flat. In the interior there is an entrance lobby with staircase rising to the second story which has two County Circuit Court courtrooms. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 9th Judicial District. The building also houses the Stevens Point City Hall which is located on the southwest side.
See: The 9th Judicial District includes Florence County, Forest County, Iron County, Langlade County, Lincoln County, Marathon County, Menominee County, Oneida County, Price County, Shawano County, Taylor County, Vilas County and Wood County.
History: The county was created in 1836 and Portage City (Winnebago City) was selected as the county seat. The county was attached to Brown County for judicial purposes. In 1844, Plover was designated as the county seat and the first court met in 1845 in the store of Keith and Miles. The county seat moved to Stevens Point in 1868. The first courthouse was a two story sandstone structure built by C R Ross in 1868 to 1870 at a cost of $40,000. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1958 to 1959.
County Courthouse Annex – Stevens Point
Location: 1462 Strongs Avenue / Arlington Place
Built: 1997 – 1998
Style: Modern
Architect: Barrientos Designs & Consulting, LLC.
Contractor: Ellis Stone Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick, concrete and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Stevens Point to the west of the courthouse. The east front has a recessed entrance on the first story and a semi-circular section on the second story. The third story has large windows. A square white colored tower rises above the flat roof line.
County Courthouse – Stevens Point
County Circuit Court courtroom
County Circuit Court courtroom
Picture 1870 County Courthouse
County Courthouse Annex – Stevens Point
Photos taken 2007, 2010 and 2022
Images 23*
