Cass County is named for Lewis Cass, who was the Governor of Michigan Territory to 1831, and who was United States Secretary of State.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Pulaski County and Fulton County
E – Miami County
S – Howard County and Carroll County
W – Carroll County and White County
![]()
Created: December 18, 1828
County Seat:
Logansport 1829 – present
County Courthouse – Logansport
Location: 200 Court Park / South 3rd Street
Built: 1977 – 1979
Style: Modern
Architect: Richard Byers of Muncie
Contractor: Jack Steinberger Building Systems
Description: The building faces east and is a four story brick, concrete and glass structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Logansport. The base of the building is red colored brick and the upper stories have cream colored molded concrete facing. The windows are small and square and the entrances on the east and west sides are recessed,. On the east side, the brick facing is on the north and south corners. A one story brick extension is on the southeast corner. The east front and west side have a clock at the flat roof line. In the interior the main hallway runs east-west. The County Circuit Court courtroom is located on the southwest side of the second story. The County Superior Court courtroom is located on the southeast side of the second story. Both courtrooms are identical in design. The building houses the County Circuit Court and the County Superior Court of the 8th Judicial District. In 2001 the building was renovated. The architect was RQWA Consulting Engineers & Architects and the contractor was Project Management Services, Inc. In 2016 the building was further renovated. The architect was Design Collaboration & Engineering Resources and the contractor was Michael Kinder & Sons Inc.
See: The 8th Judicial District includes Fulton County, Howard County and Miami County.
History: The county was created in 1828 and Logansport was selected as the county seat in 1829. The first court and county meetings were held in the Mansion House, a hotel on the southwest corner of Fourth Street and Market Street. The first courthouse was two story stone structure designed by Joseph Willis and built in 1844 at a cost of $16,393. The second courthouse was an addition to the previous courthouse in 1888 at a cost of $40,000. The architect was John S Mckean and the contractor was John Medland and John E Barnes. The building was remodeled in 1953 to 1955. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1977 to 1979.
Note: When the 1888 courthouse was built, the 1844 courthouse was kept as the courtroom had outstanding acoustics, The 1888 courthouse was built in front of the 1844 courthouse. Both courthouses were demolished in 1976 to make way for the present courthouse.
County Courthouse – Logansport
County Courthouse before renovation
County Superior Court courtroom
Photos taken 2008 and 2025
Images 13*
