Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Indiana » Howard County

Howard County

Howard County is named for Tilghman Howard, who was a United States Representative from Indiana and who died in 1844.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Cass County and Miami County

E – Grant County

S – Tipton County and Clinton County

W – Clinton County and Carroll County

 

Created:  January 15, 1844                                                        Map of Indiana highlighting Howard County

County Seat: 

Kokomo  1844 – present

 

County Courthouse – Kokomo  

 

Location:  104 North Buckeye Street / West Walnut Street

Built:  1936 – 1937

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  Oscar F Cook

Contractor:  Buesching-Hagerman Corporation of Fort Wayne

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story buff colored limestone  and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Kokomo. The entrance is in the center of the east side and is trimmed with stone. The large pilasters at the margins of the building contain window openings in each of the three stories and a band of interlaced scallops topped by a stylized bead and reel molding carved into the limestone, extends across the full width of the elevation. The base of the building is concrete and wide vertical bands of stone divide the windows. The north and south sections project slightly from the main building. The handrails were manufactured by the Haynes Company which invented stainless steel. In the interior is Art Deco ornamentation. The bronze doors are decorated with a likeness of Kokomo founder David Foster and inventor and industrialist Elwood Haynes. The building houses the County Circuit Court and County Superior Court of the 8th Judicial District. 

 

See:  The 8th Judicial District includes Cass CountyFulton County and Miami County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1844 and Kokomo was designated as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story log structure built by R L Blower in 1845. The second courthouse was designed by M Rumbaugh and built by J V Coffman in 1868 to 1870 at a cost of $97,548. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1936 to 1937.

 

 

County Courthouse – Kokomo

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2008