Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Illinois » DeWitt County

DeWitt County

DeWitt County is named for DeWitt Clinton, who was a Governor of New York and who was responsible for the construction of the Erie Canal.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – McLean County

E – Piatt County

S – Macon County

W – Logan County

 

Created:  March 1, 1839                                                             Map of Illinois highlighting DeWitt County

County Seat:

Marion  1839

Clinton  1839 – present

 

County Courthouse – Clinton

 

Location:  201 West Washington Street / South Quincy Street

Built:  1984 – 1986

Style:  Modern

Architect:  FGM, Inc. of Belleville

Contractor:  Diversified Buildings, Inc. of Morton

 

Description: The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Clinton. The south central entrance projects from the main building and has glass doors. The windows are rectangular and set low. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 6th Judicial Circuit. The building is named as the DeWitt County Building and the jail occupies the east section of the building. 

 

See:  The 6th Judicial District includes Champaign CountyDouglas CountyMacon CountyMoultrie County and Piatt County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1839 and Marion was designated as the temporary county seat but Clinton was selected as the county seat in 1839. The first courthouse was built by Henry Dishon in the same year at a cost of $600. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1849. The third courthouse was a three story Gothic Revival stone structure designed by Henry Elliott of Chicago and constructed by C F Schultz & Company in 1899 and resembled the courthouse in Pike County. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1984 to 1986.

 

 

County Courthouse – Clinton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Jail – Clinton

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2010