Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Indiana » Allen County

Allen County

Allen County is named for John Allen, who was a soldier in the War of 1812, and who lived from 1771 to 1813.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Noble County and DeKalb County

E – Defiance County, Ohio, Pauling County, Ohio and Van Wert County, Ohio 

S – Adams County and Wells County

W – Huntington County and Whitley County

 

Created:  April 1, 1824                                                               Map of Indiana highlighting Allen County

County Seat: 

Fort Wayne 1824 – present

 

County Courthouse – Fort   Wayne

 

Location:  715 South Calhoun Street / East Main Street

Built:  1897 – 1902

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  Brentwood S Tolan of Fort Wayne

Contractor:   James Stewart & Company of St. Louis, Missouri

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a four story gray colored Vermont granite, limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Fort Wayne. The building is constructed of blue Bedford limestone and Vermont granite. The courthouse was designed in the styles of Grecian, Roman, and Renaissance with Doric lines of the first story, Iconic columns on the second story, and Corinthian and Roman Imperial styles on the third level. Along the east front, the center entrance has high columns and a pediment extending above the roof line. On the north and south are protruding sections with columns and pediments. The base is horizontal stone. Along the roofline is a wide stone band. Rising from the center of the building is a large square stone dome with clock and black colored roof. At the top is “Lady Liberty” as weather vain. In the interior, on the first and second stories, gleaming white colored Italian marble covers the walls and stairs providing a striking contrast to the richly variegated coloring of the scagliola on the pilasters and columns. At the north side is the grand staircase. On every level, intricately laid Zanesville mosaic tiles color the floor and layer upon layer of multi-colored and gilded decorative plaster moldings surround the artfully stenciled coffered ceilings. Nearly all of the walls on the third story are paneled in scagliola, with some courtrooms exhibiting five different hues within one room. The doorways to each courtroom are crowned with a pediment and architrave molding in scagliola, and relief plaster ornamentation decorates the frieze area above the door level. The circuit court room occupies the north end of the third story of the building and the superior court room the south end. The building houses the County Circuit Court and the County Superior Court of the 7th Judicial District.  

 

See:  The architect,  Brentwood S Tolan of Fort Wayne also designed courthouses in Kosciusko CountyLaGrange CountyLaPorte CountyParke County and Whitley County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Allen County Courthouse

 

History:  The county was created in 1824 and Fort Wayne was selected as the county seat. The first court was held in the Charles Ewing tavern, Washington Hall and offices of Alexander Ewing and William Suttonfield. The first courthouse was a brick structure erected in 1832 at a cost of $3,322. The court met in the Presbyterian Church until the second courthouse, a frame structure was built in 1842. The third courthouse was s brick structure built by Samuel Edsell & Company in 1847 at a cost of $15,000. The fourth courthouse was designed by Edwin May and built by Samuel Edsell & Company under the supervision of Ochmig Bird, Virgil Kimball, and Louise Wolke in 1861 to 1862 at a cost of $78,000. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1897 to 1902 at a cost of $817,554.

 

City-County Building – Fort   Wayne

 

 

Location:  One East Main Street /  North Calhoun Street

Built:  1969 – 1971

Style:  Modern

Architect:  A M Strass Inc. and Eggers & Higgins

Contractor:   Hagerman Construction

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a ten story gray colored concrete and glass structure.  The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Fort Wayne on the north side of the courthouse. Named as the Edwin J Rousseau Centre, the building houses the City Hall and County Offices. The first and second stories cover the block and a center tower rises to ten stories. The roof line is flat. The windows are horizontal.  

 

 

County Courthouse – Fort Wayne

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

City-County Building – Fort Wayne

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2006 and 2015