Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Iowa » Story County

Story County

 

Story County is named for Joseph Story, who was a United States Supreme Court Justice in 1853.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Hamilton County and Hardin County

E – Marshall County

S – Jasper County and Polk County

W – Boone County

 

Created:  January 13, 1846                    Map of Iowa highlighting Story County

County Seat:

Nevada  1853 – present

 

County Justice Center – Nevada

 

Location: 1315 South B Avenue / 14th Street South

Built:  2000 – 2002

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Wells, Kastner, Schipper

Contractor:  Woodruff Construction Company

 

Description: The building faces south and is a two story brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the southeast side of Nevada. The center section is recessed with dark brown brick on the second story and glass walls on the first story. To the west of the entrance is a large polished stone panel. On the west side is a one story section with recessed windows housing the Sheriff’s Office and jail. On the east side is a two story section with dark brown colored brick, white colored stone and glass housing the courts. The roof line is flat. In the interior the entrance lobby has the statue of Lady Justice from the second courthouse built in 1876 to 1877. In the east court section are tile floors and open metal stairs. The hallways run along the glass walls with three County District Court courtrooms on the first story and three County District courtrooms on the second story located along the west side. The building houses the County District Court of the 2B Judicial District.

 

See:  The 2B Judicial District includes Boone County, Calhoun CountyGreene CountyHamilton CountyHardin County, Humboldt CountyMarshall County, Pocahontas CountyWebster County and Wright County.

 

County Administration Building (Courthouse) – Nevada

 

 

Location:  900 6th Street / I Avenue South

Built:  1966 – 1968

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Stenson and Warm Inc.

Contractor:   Andersen Construction Company

 

Description: The building faces north and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Nevada. The building was constructed as the third courthouse. On the east and west sections are vertical concrete dividers. The center section has grey colored concrete sections with a white colored section at the center. The roof line is flat. In 2002, the building became the County Administration Building. 

 

History:  The county was created in 1846 and Nevada was selected as the county seat in 1853 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was built in 1853 and destroyed by fire in 1864. The second courthouse was designed by William Foster and built by J B Randall in 1876 to 1877 at a cost of more than $40,000. The third courthouse was constructed in 1966 to 1968 at a cost of $1,000,000 and became the County Administration Building in 2002. The Justice Center was constructed in 2000 to 2002 at a cost of $12,700,000.

 

 

County Justice Center – Nevada

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Statue of Lady Justice 1877 County Courthouse

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County District Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County District Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County District Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

x

 

 

 

County Administration Building – Nevada

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Picture 1877 County Courthouse

Photos taken 2008 and 2024