Skip to content
Home » US States » H-L » Kansas » Pottawatomie County

Pottawatomie County

Pottawatomie County is named for the Pottawatomie Native American tribe.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Marshall County and Nemaha County

E – Jackson County and Shawnee County 

S – Wabaunsee County and Riley County

W – Riley County

 

Created:  February 23, 1857                  Map of Kansas highlighting Pottawatomie County

County Seat:

St. George        1857 – 1861

Louisville           1861 – 1882

Westmoreland   1882 – present

 

County Courthouse – Westmoreland

 

Location:  106 Main Street / North 2nd Street

Built:  1884

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  Hulse and Moses

Contractor:  Hulse and Moses

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story buff colored stone and wood structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Westmoreland. The building is constructed with limestone and the foundation is rubble stone. The center section extends south with an arched entrance and recessed door. The windows are arched. The roof framing consists of heavy timbered trusses and the roof line is hipped. In the interior, the courtroom located on the second story clearly conveys its original design and function with the original wood railing in place that separates the gallery from the bar. Built by a local carpenter, the historic courtroom furnishings are extant including the judge’s dais, witness box, jury box, and stenographer desk as well as wood pews in the gallery. The original ornate pressed-metal ceiling is extant. Plaster walls are lined with beadboard wainscoting and wood trim and the hardwood oak floor is exposed the courtroom gallery.  The building houses the County District Court of the 2nd Judicial District. On the west wall, the vault dating to the 1929 addition remains in place. The floors are covered by carpet and tile. Addition built on the east side in 1897, on the south side in 1928, on the west side in 1929 and on the southeasr side in 1976. The courthouse stands vacant. On the west side of the building is the Old County Jail built in 1885.

 

Note:  The limestone used to build the courthouse was quarried locally at Mount Ephraim. The courthouse is the second oldest courthouse in Kansas after the courthouse in Chase County (1873). The third oldest courthouse is located in Gove County (1885) and the fourth oldest courthouse is located in Linn County (1886).

 

County Justice Center – Westmoreland

 

 

Location:  108 North 1st Street / Armer Street

Built:  2011 – 2013

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Treanor Architects

Contractor:  KBS Contractors Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces west and a two story buff colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Westmoreland on the north side of the courthouse.  The southwest corner has a square extended tower with the entrance on the south side of the first story. The stairwells have extended glass walls and the west side of the second story has horizontal windows. On the north side is the connected jail. In the interior, the two County District Court courtrooms are located on the north and south sides of the second story. 

 

See:  The 2nd Judicial District includes Jackson CountyJefferson County and Wabaunsee County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1857 and St. George was selected as the county seat. In 1861, the county seat was moved to Louisville and a two story frame courthouse was erected as the first courthouse. The county seat was moved to Westmoreland in 1882, and the Town Company of Westmoreland erected a two story frame building as the second courthouse. In 1884 the third and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $10,000. The Justice Center was constructed in 2011 to 2013.

 

 

County Courthouse – Westmoreland

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Old County Jail – Westmoreland

 

 

County Justice Center – Westmoreland

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County District Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County District Court courtroom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

County Administration Builg ( Old Public School )

 

 

 

 

Photos taken 2010 and 2023